Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 / Office Outlook Inquiry

• Please log in to reply

biff74

biff74

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I recently purchased a new Dell with Windows 7. Loaded Microsoft Office 2000 and then upgraded to Office Professional 2003. Seems to be working fine but I have one persistent issue. Each time I open Outlook, I receive the following message:

C:\users\randy neyens\appdata\roaming\microsoft\addins\C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\addins\outbak.dll is not a valid office Add-In

Can you tell me what this means and how to address it? I am given the option to simply click OK and it goes away. No further issue. Thing is I would like to understand why it appears each time I open Outlook.

Thanks for your help

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi biff74,

The problem you are having is a known issue according to Microsoft... LOOK HERE Getting rid of it involves editing the registry. Always make a backup before editing the registry, which my instruction DO tell you to do.

To resolve this behavior, delete the Microsoft.Outlookbackup.1 key in the registry:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate the following key in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Microsoft.Outlookbackup.1
3. Select the Microsoft.Outlookbackup.1 key, and then click Delete on the Edit menu.
4. Quit Registry Editor.

To get rid of this message... Please refer to images below for help
  • Click Windows Orb
  • Click Run...
  • Type or copy and paste Regedit
  • Click OK
  • The registry editor will open
  • Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER
  • Expand Software
  • Expand Microsoft
  • Expand Office
  • Expand Outlook
  • Expand Addins
  • HIGHLIGHT ADDINS!!
  • Click File
  • Select Export
  • Save as AddinsBackup (or a name you'll remember)
    and save it to your Desktop (or somewhere you will remember)
  • Now HIGHLIGHT Microsoft.outlookbackup.1 ONLY!!!
  • Click Edit,
  • Click Delete (YOU ONLY WANT TO DELETE WHAT IS HIGHLIGHTED, which is microsoft.outlookbackup.1
  • Close out of the registry editor.
Open Outlook, problem solved? If not, a restart may be required, then open Outlook. How is everything? As long as everything is ok (wait a couple days or more) you can delete the backupaddins folder we made... DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK IT... it will add the entry back into the registry.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Ferrari, 25 February 2010 - 10:50 PM.

kalju24

kalju24

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Im sorry to jump in but with windows 7 would be smarter to install office 2007, because at my work many have different problems with 7 and 2003