Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire 8939g chain of problems

• Please log in to reply

lordaccess

lordaccess

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This is my first post here so I ll try to give as much info as i can.

I have a 18,4 inch Acer Aspire 8930g for around a year and a half. So far it worked great no problems whatsoever.

Today at some point i restarted and after it restarted suddenly it shut down. I put my hand on it and it was hot. I assumed the heat protection took place and shut it down. (this happened to an older laptop i had).

Now what happened is while the bar of the Vista loading screen kept moving there was no hard drive response and it got stuck at that point on an infinite loop. I restarted and it did the same. Third time it asked me to begin the repair console or something. It checked the drive for errors and restarted but this time it loaded till seconds before the login appeared. So I had a blank screen with the mouse curso. Again no hard drive activity at that point.

I restarted and pressed F8 to bring the console with the options (safe mode etc) and I pressed the one that bring the system restore/repair/start on DOS etc. Anyway for some reason there was no system restore so i looked at the options but no go so i restarted again. This time it reaches the log in screen and it says Windows folder is corrupt and it restarts almost immediately.

This time it reaches the login screen with my account name and i am happy to see it works. Problem is it takes a bit longer to load and when it does this message appears on the taskbar on an empty desktop (more like fresh since it had some of my shortcuts and recycle bin etc):

"Your user profile was not loaded correctly! You have been logged on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off. Please see the event log for details or contact your system administrator."

So I look into my account folder and my files seem to be there. I did a backup on some documents and i read somewhere to make a checkdisk and it should solve the problem. I am now in the process of doing that but it takes forever. Any ideas what happened and what I might need to do? I feel like I am solving the symptoms of the problem and not the problem itself.

thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Advertisements

lordaccess

lordaccess

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The checkdisk was finished but still the temporary profile loads. thing is that it loads with my user name. I mean in the log in screen it prompts me to log in my account. Any ideas? In C: Users/myaccount/desktop all my files are there. is there any way i can fix this? Seems like my files are intact so why the profile doesnt load?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi lordaccess ... :) ..:)

do you get to the recovery screen

did you try system restore yet

Edited by happyrock, 04 March 2010 - 11:00 AM.

lordaccess

lordaccess

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes I did. It didnt help. today that I tried to open the pc the hard drive started making weird sounds and it wouldnt boot. Probably the hard drive died. So I have another 2 questions:

1) Where can I find the Acer Aspire 8930g starting configuration to download (like when u buy it from the store). Since Acer doesnt give you the Vista dvd and the drivers u need to download em from the site, i wonder if there is any place I can download or find a place that will allow me to "ghost" the hard drive into my new hard drive.

2) Do you have any recommendations of companies that do data recovery? I am located in Los Angeles btw. Sorry for the change of subject but it still applies to the chain of problems :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

1) Where can I find the Acer Aspire 8930g starting configuration to download (like when u buy it from the store). Since Acer doesnt give you the Vista dvd and the drivers u need to download em from the site, i wonder if there is any place I can download or find a place that will allow me to "ghost" the hard drive into my new hard drive.

you can buy a reinstall cd from acer...about $20.00

2) Do you have any recommendations of companies that do data recovery? I am located in Los Angeles btw. Sorry for the change of subject but it still applies to the chain of problems

why didn't you make backups of your data...

you can remove the drive and slave it to a working system to try and get your data...
or get
get puppy linux 2.16.1-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso here...
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. click on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to usb flash drives or a external usb hard drive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

this guide is for using usb flash drives but if you have a external hard drive just substitute your external drive where it says flash drive

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will
mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it ...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window tabout half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that contains your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 16GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash
drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in
again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

lordaccess

lordaccess

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey mate thanks for the reply. I am actually talking with someone from geek squad to find a hard drive from a new 8930g and image it on my new hard drive.

As for the recovery process I would actually pay you to do it if that saves my data lol

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

As for the recovery process I would actually pay you to do it if that saves my data

can do... :) will run about $100 plus the cost of shipping...

lordaccess

lordaccess

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I ll let you know tomorrow or the day after. thanks :)