Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major problems after installing SP1 in Vista

• Please log in to reply

docgoblin

docgoblin

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I have a Compaq Presario F700 laptop. Everything was fine until I was prompted to install SP1 from Windows Updates yesterday. I ran the install, it finished perfectly then said to restart. After starting to reboot it went to a black screen and it appeared to be checking files. It stopped on file 1998/100244 (MSNP.ax). It appeared to have an error code associated with it. The line said: !! 0xc0190036 !! 1998/100244 (MSNP.ax) and it just sat there. I restarted the computer and it went into the System Recovery. I let the startup repair run which seemed to fix the problem but when I restart it just ends up back on the screen where it appears to be running through all the files only to get stuck at the same file as before. I also tried doing a system restore using the advanced options in the system recovery but the only restore point it gives me is the SP1 installation. When I try to do the restore it fails. I don't know if I have many options here. I have no Vista disk as this system came with the OS and software pre-installed.

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it!

Advertisements

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I also tried doing a system restore using the advanced options in the system recovery but the only restore point it gives me is the SP1 installation. When I try to do the restore it fails.

Although Vista is now up to Service Pack 2 Windows should have made a Restore point before installing SP1 (This is part of the update procedure)

Sometimes Restore points get damaged, this could be due to the result of Malware infection. But you should still see the Restore point that was created before SP1 started installing/updating.

Firstly confirm that you can or cannot get into Safe Mode
Safe Mode is accessed by pressing the F8 key before Windows starts to load.

To fix the issue you may need to get into the Recovery Console (with any available Vista Setup Disc)
If you don't have access to any disc like this, then you can download Edit:Removed link that isn't sanctioned by Microsoft. and burn it to a new disc, then boot from it.
And try repairing Windows from there (I an supply exact steps)

But, I would suggest you best first course of action, would be to backup your data (if you have any that has not been backed up elsewhere already?)
One of the best ways to backup your data when Windows does not start (even in Safe Mode) is by using a Linux OS boot disc.
I recommend Knoppix Live BootCD
After creating the Boot disc, start your computer from it, load Knoppix and then mount your drive.
Knoppix, has an Explorer like gui, which is similar to Windows.
You can copy and paste User data, to a connected USB flash drive.

Once your data is backed up, you can then decide on a clean Restore of your OEM image, and then update to SP2 :)

Edited by dsenette, 09 March 2010 - 08:36 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
kimsland, i know first hand that MS doesn't allow anyone to host their content elsewhere, especially when it should be available at MS directly. the link you posted is NOT an MS site and it's hosting MS content (on a torrent at that). please refrain from posting links like this again

for information on using the vista recovery center please read This article from Microsoft for information on using the Vista System Recovery Center. This option should have either been installed by your system manufacturer or you should have recovery disks from them.

also, if you had read the OPs post, you'd see that they already used the system recovery center, which means that it is actively installed on the system as we speak.

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I also tried doing a system restore using the advanced options in the system recovery

In the Windows Recovery Environment select to run the command prompt.
Type chkdsk /r on the command line and press enter.
Allow CheckDisk to finish checking and repairing any/all issues, then restart.

Further information on > System repairs from the Windows Recovery Environment

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
When I go to Command Prompt it will not allow me to run chkdsk. It says the disk is write protected. I tried running system restore again and now it says there are no restore points!? :) I would just reformat at this point but I don't have a Vista disk to do so... I HATE VISTA!... AND COMPAQ!

Edited by docgoblin, 09 March 2010 - 06:55 PM.

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Vista includes a "Recovery Manager" wizard, that allows a "Recovery Disc Creation" that can be burnt directly to a CD/DVD.

Obviously that won't help because you can't get into Windows! But the point is Vista is not at fault.

Compaq (HP) have a million (exaggeration) tutorials on Recovery options.
There is a possibility that your Compaq Recovery allows for a command prompt and CheckDisk to be run.
Usually its a matter of pressing a certain key at system startup (like F10)
BUT, I am not suggesting you wipe your drive and everything presently on it.
Only that this option may already exist on your system startup.

Plus Compaq also allow users to either create their own boot disc (similar to MS option above) Or even purchase a Restore disc.
But the point is Compaq is not at fault.

------

The "fault" is that you do not have a boot disc available right now!

I quoted one already. Removed by Mods here (in Red above)
I also note that I found MS Support themselves mentioning my removed link HERE (Edit link removed by me ), by someone with a lot of experience helping Users.

I am therefore unsure exactly what 3rd party disc I am allowed to quote?
Please search Google for any free Vista boot disc (ideally quoted from a reputable source ie MS)
Then create it, boot from it. And run CheckDisk

Edit
I removed my link

Edited by kimsland, 10 March 2010 - 07:42 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I quoted one already. Removed by Mods here (in Red above)
I also note that I found MS Support themselves mentioning my removed link HERE, by someone with a lot of experience helping Users.

#1 not a mod, an admin
#2 the person in that thread you linked to ISN'T microsoft support, and not a microsoft employee. that's just some person who posts information just like we do.

also should be noted that this isn't the microsoft answers forum, so what they post there makes no difference as to what we post here. the fact of the matter is that neosmart is hosting those files illegally so we will not support the use of those files. so again, don't post links to that site