Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound after installing Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

björnp

björnp

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there,
Well now I instaled Windows 7 pro -64. Everything has worked perfect except the sound. I have a logitech Z3 speaker system which is analogue ( and therefore doesn't need updated drivers if I have understood everything right). Now it seems like windows does not recognize my soundcard as the message under sound in the device manager reads that it's not installed. Before with windows XP the sound worked fine. All cables are checked. I downloaded SIW (system information for windows) to see if it could find my soundcard but I'm not sure where it is and what it's called. There is noting under sounddevice It might be NVIDIA nForce4 or GeForce 6600 GT (is the sound card inside the mothercard?). As you understand this is not really my cup of tea but still I need to solve it. Also my retailer sold me a OEM version so I will not get any support from microsoft. Please help!

This is the text under PCI (if it helps):
Bus/Dev./Func. Type Class Type Manufacturer Device Name Sub System Device Vendor Sub System Device Name
00 / 00 / 00 HT Other Memory Device Nvidia Corp nForce4 Memory Controller Giga-Byte Technology
00 / 01 / 00 PCI PCI to ISA Bridge Nvidia Corp nForce4 PCI to ISA Bridge Giga-Byte Technology
00 / 01 / 01 PCI SMBus Controller Nvidia Corp nForce4 SMBus Giga-Byte Technology
00 / 02 / 00 PCI USB (OHCI) Nvidia Corp nForce4 USB Controller Giga-Byte Technology
00 / 02 / 01 PCI USB 2.0 (EHCI) Nvidia Corp nForce4 USB 2.0 Controller Giga-Byte Technology
00 / 04 / 00 PCI Audio Device Nvidia Corp nForce4 AC'97 Audio Controller Giga-Byte Technology
00 / 06 / 00 PCI Bus Master IDE controller Nvidia Corp nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller Giga-Byte Technology
00 / 07 / 00 PCI IDE (ATA) Nvidia Corp nForce4 Serial ATA Controller Giga-Byte Technology
00 / 08 / 00 PCI IDE (ATA) Nvidia Corp nForce4 Serial ATA Controller Giga-Byte Technology
00 / 09 / 00 PCI PCI to PCI Bridge (Subtractive Decode) Nvidia Corp nForce4 PCI Bridge
00 / 10 / 00 PCI PCI to Other Bridge Nvidia Corp nForce4 Ethernet Controller Giga-Byte Technology
00 / 11 / 00 U06 PCI to PCI Bridge Nvidia Corp nForce4 PCIe Bridge
00 / 12 / 00 U06 PCI to PCI Bridge Nvidia Corp nForce4 PCIe Bridge
00 / 13 / 00 U06 PCI to PCI Bridge Nvidia Corp nForce4 PCIe Bridge
00 / 14 / 00 U06 PCI to PCI Bridge Nvidia Corp nForce4 PCIe Bridge
00 / 24 / 00 HT PCI to HOST Bridge Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon64/Opteron/Sempron (K8 Family) HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00 / 24 / 01 PCI PCI to HOST Bridge Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon64/Opteron/Sempron (K8 Family) Address Map
00 / 24 / 02 PCI PCI to HOST Bridge Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon64/Opteron/Sempron (K8 Family) DRAM Controller
00 / 24 / 03 PCI PCI to HOST Bridge Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon64/Opteron/Sempron (K8 Family) Miscellaneous Control
01 / 07 / 00 PCI USB (UHCI) VIA Technologies Inc VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (All VIA Chipsets) VIA Technologies Inc
01 / 07 / 01 PCI USB (UHCI) VIA Technologies Inc VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (All VIA Chipsets) VIA Technologies Inc
01 / 07 / 02 PCI USB 2.0 (EHCI) VIA Technologies Inc VT6202/12 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller VIA Technologies Inc VT6202 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
01 / 07 / 03 PCI OHCI FireWire VIA Technologies Inc VT6306 VIA Fire II IEEE-1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller VIA Technologies Inc VT6306 VIA Fire II IEEE-1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller
01 / 10 / 00 PCI OHCI FireWire Texas Instruments (TI) TSB82AA2 IEEE-1394b Link Layer Controller Giga-Byte Technology
05 / 00 / 00 PCI-X VGA Controller Nvidia Corp GeForce 6600 GT Giga-Byte Technology

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Make and model of your computer?

Murray

björnp

björnp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi,
I have an AMD processor and the rest is put together from different parts. If you want i can add a list of the different components.
/Björn

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
All I need is the make/model of the soundcard if it is an addon or the make/model of the mobo if the sound is integrated.

Murray

björnp

björnp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
If the soundcard is not any of the mentioned obove I don't know and I don't know how to find out. Is there any easy way of knowing or do I have to open the box?
/Björn

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Download and run a program called Belarc from www.belarc.com

Post anything to do with audio here.

BTW.. did you bother to check and make sure your hardware would support Win7 before you installed it?

Murray

björnp

björnp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
I'm afraid I did not check the compability of my hardware and W7(other than a 64 bit ready processor). Ofcourse i should have but I had an evil virus on my computer and was just fed up with dealing with it...
Now I found a description of my motherboard GA-K8NSC-939 and it says it's intergrated with high quality 8 channel Audio codec. Is that any help?
The belarc log did not mention the word audio but with the system information for windows (SIW) that I ran before I found the files I posted in my first question. There it said "00 / 04 / 00 PCI Audio Device Nvidia Corp nForce4 AC'97 Audio Controller Giga-Byte Technology"
Any help?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
I checked out the mobo website and it appears you are out of luck.

The best audio drivers for that system is for XP 32 and 64bit operating systems. They don't even make them for Vista.

Murray

björnp

björnp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So what does that mean. Can I buy a new soundcard and use it together with my motherboard? Are there any other solutions?
/Björn

kalju24

kalju24

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi, if u want to keep windows 7 as your OS then buy another soundcard that fits into your motherboard.
Else go back to XP

björnp

björnp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Many thanks to both of you!
/Björn