Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

? for those who repair computers for cash

• Please log in to reply

lcbjr1979

lcbjr1979

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Just curious on how you charge your customers. Is it an hourly fee, a flat price no matter what, or is it a different price for different types of work needed to be done.

Advertisements

Lister192065

Lister192065

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Depends on your own personal approach, example:

If i'm at a clients site then i charge by the hour (but set a minimum time of 1.5 hours) as tied to that spot until i finish that job.

If i can return the machine to my workshop then i charge a fixed price as i can work on multiple machines.

The hourly rate/fixed price depends on the job. things like driver download can't really want a high cost, maybe £10-15 max

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm similar to Lister.

I mainly repair and refurbish used computers and sell them, but with that comes some repair work. If a customer wants me to go to his/her house (offsite) then I charge $10 an hour more than I would if I was working on the computer at my home. However, when I have the convenience of working at my home I very rarely charge an hourly rate and I often give a estimate (keyword estimate) on the repair. i.e. (I can do it for $50)

It really depends on the job whether I decide an hourly rate or flat rate at my home, but usually it's a flat rate. But if I go to their home, it will always be hourly rate.

Also, it is important to differentiate between the two when a customer is asking how much you charge. About a month or two ago I had a customer call me up a few days later and said she was ready for me to come out to her house and that the $50 I quoted her sounded good. I quickly had to correct her and say that quote was for bringing the computer to me. I charge XX.00 an hour to come to your home. It was sort of my fault because she was under the impression I was a "come to you" service and I never stated the $50 was for at my home only repair. See?

I think it's always a good idea to give your prices in your advertising. In somewhat of a list style.
"Fresh Install" XX.00 flat rate
"Trouble shooting" XX.00/hr
Custom Build XXX.00 flat rate
And then include at the bottom that most jobs can be completed or diagnosed in under an hour and that your charge flat rates for most tasks.

See?

Hope that helps.

Edited by Ferrari, 23 March 2010 - 12:05 AM.

lcbjr1979

lcbjr1979

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you both for the replies.