Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista CD key, But no CD. HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Slink

Slink

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
im fixing a HP Pavillion dv9723cl, and the person lost the CD and there is no recovery drive either. the entire computer is wiped clean. i went to hp.com and it says i need to order a recovery disc that will take 5day. is there anyway i can download vista (any were) and use the key that's on the back of the laptop? or anything else i can do.. i have vista CD for my alienware laptop btw..

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Windows 7 Enterprise 90-day Trial
http://technet.micro...r/cc442495.aspx

This way you can try Windows 7 while your wait for you recovery DVD to arrive, without the risk of downloading something dodgy from the innernets.

Slink

Slink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Windows 7 Enterprise 90-day Trial
http://technet.micro...r/cc442495.aspx

This way you can try Windows 7 while your wait for you recovery DVD to arrive, without the risk of downloading something dodgy from the innernets.

ya but is there any other way without getting a new cd?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No you cannot use your Alienware cd as it will load the wrong drivers and most functions will not work.
Also that cd is married to your laptop and not the HP.
Also this would be against Microsoft's EULA.
Loading Win 7 to me would be a waste of time as you will most likely have to format to load the recovery cd anyway.
The recovery cd will have not only the Vista but all drivers needed to get the system back to factory settings.

Slink

Slink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

No you cannot use your Alienware cd as it will load the wrong drivers and most functions will not work.
Loading Win 7 to me would be a waste of time as you will most likely have to format to load the recovery cd anyway.
The recovery cd will have not only the Vista but all drivers needed to get the system back to factory settings.

so in other words there is nothing i can do and i have to order a new CD?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

The Alienware recovery DISCS are just that, discs, just like Dell since its the same company. 1 is the OS and another is the driver CD.

Also, the Alienware OS Restore disc is an OEM copy of Vista and is "married" to the sticker on the laptop, not the laptop itself. So technically you can use your disc on another machine using the key on your laptop but that would violate the EULA.

If you cant wait, load up the 7 90 day trial listed by DaffyKantReed. If you can wait, order the CD's and restore. Your choice.