Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VISTA OS reinstallation gone wrong…

• Please log in to reply

ill_never_b_a_geek

ill_never_b_a_geek

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
VISTA OS reinstallation gone wrong…

System Info

OS—Windows Vista Home Premium & Service Pk. 1
PC—Dell Studio Hybrid
Processor—Intell ® Dual
Memory—(RAM) 3.00 GB
System Type—32-bit OS

I decided to reinstall VISTA on my DELL Studio Hybrid because System Restore had not corrected problems I was having.

Unfortunately, it did not install correctly—all other stuff that was on hard drive was wiped clean :) .

I tried to do a System Restore, and got this message,

“Recovery D: System status-not enough free space to restore the disk.
Details—the parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)”.

So, I’m now again trying to reinstall the OS VISTA Home Premium (correctly this time), and though I’m following the Installation instructions to the letter (or so I think), it’s not happening

These are the directions given on how to correctly reinstall

1. Save & close any open files and exit any open programs.
2. Insert the Operating System disc.
3. Click Exit if the Install Windows message appears.
4. Restart the computer.
5. When the DELL logo appears, press <F12> immediately.

NOTE: If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft Windows desktop; then, shut down your computer and try again.

NOTE: The next steps change the boot sequence for one time only. On the next start-up, the computer boots according to the devices specified in the system setup program.

6. When the boot device list appears, highlight CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive and press <Enter>.
7. Press any key to Boot from CD-ROM. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.

Problem is that it won’t allow me to proceed beyond step #5 :) .
Any suggestions on how I can overcome this problem?

By the way, I do have ALL the required software, including the Drivers & Utilities disc.

Thank you in advance for your help :) .

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Hi there :)

When you first turn your computer on, do you see some text listed on the bottom of the screen that says something like "Press F12 to select boot device" or "Press F12 to enter setup" ?
If you press F12 do you see anything?

I'm looking at the same manual you are. I found an online version.

If you turn your computer on with the CD in the drive, try skipping steps 5 and 6. Sometimes it will boot to the installation DVD automatically.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Also, see THIS GUIDE with pictures :) It'll walk you though what you need to do to perform a clean installation.

ill_never_b_a_geek

ill_never_b_a_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thank you NEONFX !

I had to wait till the new DVI to HDMI cable to arrive (which just got here today) so I could connect the new Monitor to the computer & tackle this.It actually went very smoothly, took just a little over 20m. to reinstall.

I've installed all the "Drivers" and "Application" discs as well.

I am getting a message that I need to install newer Video Card, one that is compatible with "Direct3D". So, now I just need to find this thing.

Thanks again! :)

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
You can obtain all of the latest drivers for your system online HERE. Just select your version of Windows and which category you wish you find drivers for. Try downloading and installing the ones for "Video" to see if that message goes away. You may need a newer video card though.

ill_never_b_a_geek

ill_never_b_a_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi again NEONFX,

As it turns out it all went back to normal when I downloaded all the suggested updates from Microsoft (about a million or so).

Something else happened that seems a little odd so I'm going to mention it..the computer powered-ON twice today on it's own! This has me just a tad worried as it has never done this before.

Any suggestions as to what th cause could be?

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
How are you turning it off? Are you shutting it down or is it just going into Standby mode?

ill_never_b_a_geek

ill_never_b_a_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'm shutting it down completely, as always.

This is truly bothering me.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Humor me and remove your ethernet cable once you turn the machine off. See if it turns on by itself again.

ill_never_b_a_geek

ill_never_b_a_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Humor me and remove your ethernet cable once you turn the machine off. See if it turns on by itself again.

Sorry. No "Ethernet" on this machine.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
The reason he asked was because there's really two reasons your computer would turn on if you're shutting it down completely. You have an ethernet(internet) cable plugged into a device that allows "wake-on-lan" or you have a physical hardware problem inside the computer.

If your computer is going into hibernation though, Windows or programs can turn the computer on to perform updates or scans.

To be sure your computer is actually turning itself off and not just hibernating, try shutting it off by clicking on your start button, click on the little arrow next to the power icon, and select "Shut Down" from the menu that appears. See if that makes a difference.

ill_never_b_a_geek

ill_never_b_a_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

To be sure your computer is actually turning itself off and not just hibernating, try shutting it off by clicking on your start button, click on the little arrow next to the power icon, and select "Shut Down" from the menu that appears. See if that makes a difference.

The problem has not happened since (thank God).

I was closing it the way you are specifying,so am assuming that probably there is a problem with the computer itself.

Another happening now (yes, another problem)is that it will not allow me to reinstall protection software. It was giving me some message saying, "There is a problem with the script and is slowing Internet Explorer. If it is allowed to continue your computer may become unresponsive."

So I stoped the installation & contacted the software provider, and am awaiting a reply.

Soooooo glad I still have the other PC

Again, I'd like to thank you both (NeonFx & diabillic) for your help. It means a great deal to me that people I have never even met care enough about others to offer their help as you both have done.

Thank you again! :)

ill_never_b_a_geek

ill_never_b_a_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Well, now I know what was wrong..TWO TROJANS!

Hopefuly, all has been cleared and this is the end of it.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Oh ok. Glad you figured it out :) If you want someone to take a look at the system sometime see here:

http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

ill_never_b_a_geek

ill_never_b_a_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Just wondering...
Is it possible that when one switches brands of computer protection software that the discarded software leaves behind a little "gift"???