Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer showing consistent >50% usage in Task Manager

• Please log in to reply

scytheslash

scytheslash

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys..

I have a problem with my Explorer, that it keeps on hogging system memory. I have 2.00 GB of Ram and yet only 50-62%(MAX) of it gets used.... This might have been Ok...but lately whenever I run a browser, connect to the Internet, listen to music or do anything else...the laptop starts to slow down and i get arbitrary hangups. When i check Task Manager ...I see explorer is at a steady 50% use...and the other process is giving it competition at around 42-48%..

I came over here from the Malware Removal Forums.... and Rorschach112 gave me a clean bill of health. No Malware here anymore! But the problem wasn't solved in the slightest, which makes me suspect something went wrong with some software or some installation. Which I hope you can figure out.

SPECS:
Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.00 GHz
Windows Vista SP2
Current Antivirus: Norton 360(1 month trial)
RAM: 2.00 GB DDR2
HDD: 250GB(only 10GB free right now)

I'll be waiting for a response...! :)

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
scytheslash-

I would hazard a reasonable guess to say that the problem is your hard drive. Filling up your hard drive so full will cause the MFT to become fragmented, and that leads to big problems. I suggest moving some of your data to a difference storage location- an external hard drive, a USB flash drive, a network share- something to get it off your hard drive.

Filling up an NTFS (which is what you have) drive past 85% is dangerous. Move some of your data off and I would bet that you will see a significant improvement in performance. Your drive should have at least 15% free space.

Also, can you link to your topic in the virus removal forums? Thanks! :)

scytheslash

scytheslash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Here's the link...
Explorer showing consistent 50% usage in Task manager
Hmm... and here was me thinking NTFS could handle anything...
I'll shift my data over to a External HDD soon..... then I'll check and post back. Thanks for the head's up!