Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help solve crazy Registry Problem

• Please log in to reply

Help Help

Help Help

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,
I ran into this place via google for some help.

A couple days ago somehow so very annoying virus called win 7 security tool overran my computer saying that I have a billion viruses and that I must pay for removal of so called viruses.
My malware bytes, etc couldnt load to take care of it, and I've heard thats due to the win7 virus making changes to the registry.

So earlier today, I found out I have to take care of the registry problems first before getting rid of the virus, so to google I went.

I followed these steps for removal of win7 and fixing the registry:
http://www.2-spyware...7-security.html

I tried to make this file through notepad and sending it to regedit to fix the exe and other file load problem:

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareClasses.exe]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareClassessecfile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTsecfile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.exeshellopencommand]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTexefileshellopencommand]
@=""%1" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

But that didnt work, it wouldn't go through my computer, so I followed the other way to do so, MANUALLY through regedit, as it walks you through on that site (http://www.2-spyware...7-security.html)

So I went through regedit manually and did as that site said, this:

Delete registry values:
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareClasses.exeshellopencommand "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%Local SettingsApplication Dataav.exe" /START "%1" %*
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareClassessecfileshellopencommand "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%Local SettingsApplication Dataav.exe" /START "%1" %*
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.exeshellopencommand "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%Local SettingsApplication Dataav.exe" /START "%1" %*
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTsecfileshellopencommand "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%Local SettingsApplication Dataav.exe" /START "%1" %*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClientsStartMenuInternetFIREFOX.EXEshellopencommand "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%Local SettingsApplication Dataav.exe" /START "C:Program FilesMozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClientsStartMenuInternetFIREFOX.EXEshellsafemodecommand "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%Local SettingsApplication Dataav.exe" /START "C:Program FilesMozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe" -safe-mode
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClientsStartMenuInternetIEXPLORE.EXEshellopencommand "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%Local SettingsApplication Dataav.exe" /START "C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftSecurity Center "AntiVirusOverride" = "1"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftSecurity Center "FirewallOverride" = "1"

After doing so, NO EXE FILES ARE LOADABLE. NOT even regedit, etc. The win7 virus is gone as the exe for it cant load as well, NO programs work. every time I try to get into a program it states this

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel"

So after doing the manual regedit as shown above a couple hours ago, I asked a friend that happens to be a computer geek for help and he downloaded a bootable regedit disk and did the following changes:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ exefile \ shell \ open \ command.
Double-click the (Default) value in the right hand pane and delete the current value data, and then type:
"%1" %* exactly as shown including the quotes and asterisk.
Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe
In the right-hand pane, set (default) to exefile

After doing that, SAME PROBLEM STILL EXISTS.

Thus I am here asking for help.

Please help : /

Edited by Help Help, 18 April 2010 - 04:17 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Do NOT play with registry, or you may make things even worse.

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Help Help

Help Help

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Just tried to run OTL on my laptop (the problem computer) and it can't load, as with all .exe : (
I'm on another computer posting messages right now as firefox cant load on the problem computer.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You have to start new topic at malware forum and if you can't perform some steps simply let malware people know.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Theres a new piece of rogue malware that removes the .exe extension with explorer. I suggest you follow Broni's instructions.

Help Help

Help Help

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yep, I made a thread in that subsection. Thanks

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)