Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buffering Problem

• Please log in to reply

HarleyHauler

HarleyHauler

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I need some help with a buffering problem. It seems that no matter what I am watching, YouTube, Google searches, video's in emails...it takes forever to load and then buffers a lot. I am using Windows 7, IE8, Intel 2 Duo Core, 4 meg RAM...I just thought when I bought this new HP laptop the video streaming would be better/faster. Any help greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
How fast is your connection to the internet, in Mbps?

http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/

HarleyHauler

HarleyHauler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
according to test results .77 download, .42 upload

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
That's terrible. You need a bigger pipe (faster connection) to the internet.

Your computer is more than capable of displaying streaming video. The problem is it's having to wait for the videos, (or whatever else), to _s_l_o_w_l_y_ be transferred down to your computer through that severely restricted (.77Mbps) connection to the internet.

BTW, the average download speed in the U.S. is 7.87 Mbps, which is over ten times as fast as .77 Mbps. Another way to look at it would be: 78.7 MPH compared to 7.7 MPH. :)

Edited by SpywareDr, 20 April 2010 - 03:46 AM.

penelopepony

penelopepony

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
??? So in short, on DIAL-UP even w/accelerators, NO WAY in hillbilly, am I gonna get 2 watch videos. My bps's is only around 31.2 (@best). Lost job, & was trying 2 get 2 watch anything... I live in BF Egypt, & if u don't have DSS/Dish, u get NO TV... Pulling my hair out.

Re-read, went 2 speedtest, & got my parade rained on

Download Speed: 24 kbps (3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 898 kbps (112.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

I had broadband through my cell phone co. but ran my horses 2 much one month in facebook :) & got a $250 bill. After that, if anything moved, I closed the window, however, sharing w/ex-BF, he loved YouTube, & no b****ing on my b half was going 2 change his usage.

What about eMule? I go to sites where they will let u down load tv shows, etc... I know it will take forever, but I'm desperate...

http://www.free-tv-v...fo/movies/2010/ Please help me find some way of watching something other than info mercials, religion, & jewelry shopping channels.

Penny
[email protected]

Edited by penelopepony, 04 September 2010 - 10:55 PM.

penelopepony

penelopepony

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Re-read, went 2 speedtest, & got my parade rained on :)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Re-read, went 2 speedtest, & got my parade rained on :)

The upload speed of 112.3KB/sec is good but, that download speed of 3KB/sec is horrendously slow. At that rate a 2GB one-hour video would take well over a week to download.

2,000,000,000 bytes divided by 3,000 bytes per second equals 666,666.67 total seconds.
666,666.67 seconds divided by 86,400 seconds in a day equals 7.71 days ... to download that single 1-hour, 2GB video. :)

If you wanted to download it as fast as you would watch it, (1 hour to download a 1-hour video), would require roughly a "600 KB/sec" download transfer rate, compared to your e_x_t_r_e_m_e_l_y__s_l_o_w "3 KB/sec".