Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7: Need help getting permissions on files

• Please log in to reply

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Please help,

I just installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on my PC and I'm already getting frustrated with the permissions. How can I make it so I am in full control of my computer? I want to be able to delete, rename, and/or change any files on my computer.

Thank you,
Dan

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
dhitchner-
  • Is the account you're using an administrator account?
  • What files are you having problems with? Personal files? Windows files?

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Yes, I created one account and it has administrator privileges. The files are program files. I would like to be able to edit everything from personal files to Windows files.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
dhitchner-

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. This link can do a better job of explaining than I can:

http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I followed the steps in the tutorial you sent me to and it is still not working. At the last step in "How to Grant Permissions" I am getting an error. A window pops up titled "Error Applying Security", in the window it says "An error occurred while applying security information to: (File Name) Access is denied." Basically I can take ownership it seems, but I still can't change the security settings.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Take ownership in Safe Mode.

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Still no go. I tried to change the permissions in Safe Mode and I still can't edit the files in the folder.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
What exactly are you trying to take ownership of?

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
All files in: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software

That was where I ran into the problem first. I want to have complete and total control over all of my folders/files. I've never run into a problem like this in XP or Vista.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Avast is protecting itself, you should not need to touch those files at all

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I understand that, but I still don't like not having complete control over all of the files on my machine. Isn't there a way to get around this? If AVAST can install files that protect themselves from all editing than what would stop malware from doing the same thing?

Edited by dhitchner, 30 May 2010 - 05:07 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

If AVAST can install files that protect themselves from all editing than what would stop malware from doing the same thing?

Nothing, which is why some malware is hard to remove