Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems selecting default programs for multimedia file types

• Please log in to reply

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Hello,

I'm experiencing some very annoying behavior when I try to play video or audio files.

I have VLC & WinAmp installed on my computer. when installing each, I have assigned VLC to open only video files, and WinAmp to open audio & playlist files. Now, I double click an AVI file, VLC opens it. I then close VLC, double click an m3u (playlist) file or an mp3 file, WinAmp opens it. When I then close WinAmp and double click an AVI file again, it is opened in WinAmp. I tried using the context menu to set a default program for each of the abovementioned file types (Open With -> Select Default Program), but it just keeps happening, as though selecting a default program does nothing at all.

Any solution to this?

Thanks,
SOADA

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Sounds like Winamp keeps taking the default association. You can delete the file association in Folder options, try to open the AVI and then tell VLC to open it. Try that.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Hey man,

I don't follow. Found nothing related to file associations in Folder Options. Could you be more specific?

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Silly me.... I found the solution. In WinAmp, select Options -> Preferences, in the left hand pane select "File Types", click the "Audio Only" button to deselect all video files from the "Associated File Types" list, then uncheck "Restore File Association at WinAmp startup". Close WinAmp, and right-click all video files you want VLC to open (or your video player of choice.... well, that can only mean VLC : )), Open With -> Choose Default Program, make sure the "Always use the selected program...." checkbox is ticked, select VLC & click OK.

Seems to work.

Thanks for trying to help,
SOADA