Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista - moving Documents folder

• Please log in to reply

Splatz

Splatz

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My neice’s laptop, with Vista OS, is grinding to a halt and it’s easy to see why. The HDD is partitioned into C, D and E drives, but all programs and data are on C.

I wanted to help her move the Documents folder to D or E, but a web search leads me to believe that it’s not easy to do that. Am I right?

Edited by Splatz, 26 May 2010 - 05:04 AM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

There is an easier way. Just make a new "Documents" folder in the unused drive (whichever one). Then "copy and paste" everything from the "My Documents" folder in c: drive to the new folder.

Once you make sure everything copied over correctly, just delete those files/folders from the c: drive. NOT the "documents" folder its self, just what is inside.

I do it that way all the time.

Murray

Splatz

Splatz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for replying, Murray.

We worked out that particular solution, but realised that software would have to be redirected to the new location.

I was hoping to move the Documents folder itself, in the same way as you can move the My Documents folder in XP. That would mean that Vista would carry on doing the file management. My searches so far indicate that it is difficult to do that in Vista.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question: Is it worth the aggravation of trying to move the Documents folder itself?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Is THIS one of the options you looked at?

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 26 May 2010 - 12:02 PM.

Splatz

Splatz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No it isn't, Murray. Is it one you would recommend?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
I would give it a try. Or, just do a google or dogpile search for Moving Documents Folder In Vista.

Plenty of hits that give you various options.

One other thing you can try, if you have the install cd's for her programs, is to install those programs in one of the other drivers.

By installing them there, Windows recognizes where they are and you free up c: drive space.

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 26 May 2010 - 01:42 PM.

Splatz

Splatz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for your help, Murray. I think we'll try the option in Post 4.