Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to make files write as well as read?

• Please log in to reply

Wol

Wol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Windows Seven: HP desktop with C Drive internal plus two USB hard drives external.

I cannot edit images that are on the external drives: the program says "Error writing to file" or "Access denied". Looking at the Images folder, I saw it had the "Read only" attribute - so I changed that to "Read and write".

Tried again - same error message. Looking at the attributes for the folder again - it was back to "Read only"!

Another W Seven "feature"?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
No - it's not another Windows 7 'feature'. That particular misunderstanding of Windows folder attributes has existed for several years. A folder cannot be "read only". That attribute only applies to files. If you look carefully at the properties page for a folder, the 'read only' tick-box always defaults to a solid box which means that setting cannot be applied to a folder, it's an irrelevant setting as far as folders are concerned.

You will need to 'untick' the read-only attribute for each file you wish to edit, or create a file with a different name after editing it.

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

No - it's not another Windows 7 'feature'. That particular misunderstanding of Windows folder attributes has existed for several years. A folder cannot be "read only". That attribute only applies to files. If you look carefully at the properties page for a folder, the 'read only' tick-box always defaults to a solid box which means that setting cannot be applied to a folder, it's an irrelevant setting as far as folders are concerned.

You will need to 'untick' the read-only attribute for each file you wish to edit, or create a file with a different name after editing it.

Thanks for that. Perhaps you can answer another similar question: I much prefer to show "Details" in all my folders rather than the icons or tiles. I can't seem to make the system show details for every folder - I have to set each one individually. And even then they often change back to icons when my back's turned! I seem to remember that in XP you selected "details" in the control panel and it set this for every folder and file but it doesn't seem to do it in Seven?