Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

startup repair error

• Please log in to reply

shaz

shaz

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
hi all, not sure whats going on, have an acer laptop running vista. i went to start my lap a couple days ago and kept coming up with startup repair, when i go to click repair, it says cant fix the problem, the only thing i have to work from to try fix the problem is the system recovery options and none are successful, i dont have the cd as the lap came with vista already there, what can i do to fix this

Advertisements

Rowal5555

Rowal5555

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Not sure if this will help, but on my Vista Acer laptop it has a hidden Recovery partition which is accessed by holding down the ALT key and pressing F10.
Just be sure that this will give you a REPAIR option before you carry on, or you will take your machine back to factory new condition with the resulting loss of all your data.
Also, MS have a new FixIt Centre which may help you.
Cheers

Edited by Rowal5555, 07 June 2010 - 05:06 AM.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Most Acer laptops have a hidden 'Recovery' partition in case you need to restore the factory default Windows installation like when it was new.

The procedure is usually:

1. Power up the laptop.
2. Press and hold 'Alt'+ 'F10' keys at the same time when you see the Acer splash-screen.
3. This should start Acer's "E-recovery" program. Choose "Restore to Factory Default Settings”.

This will overwrite all the files currently on the 'C' drive so it's essential you already have backups of your own files saved somewhere else.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
first thing to do is go to a command prompt and type

chkdsk c: /r

note the space after c:

use f8 to get the repair screen or use safe mode with command prompt

this can take a long time do not turn off or reboot till its finished

Attached Thumbnails

• Options.jpg