Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I am unable to run any malware tools

• Please log in to reply

OneRing2RuleThemAll

OneRing2RuleThemAll

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Original post:

Hi, all.

First time to post, been a lurker for many moons.

Here's the problem.

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 that has the 7B BSOD. First I rec'd the computer with the complaint that it wouldn't connect to a network through the NIC card. It just sat there with "Acquiring Network Address". I ran CCleaner to clean it up a bit. MBAM found several problems, but fixed them. I installed Avast 5 with the latest vpsupd file (definitions). Configured it to run a boot-time scan. It found several items and deleted them. I turned it off and inserted a NIC card to rule out the onboard NIC card. Booted up and Avast started complaining about atapi.sys while XP was trying to install the new card. I couldn't break out of the cycle. I looked up the problem online and ran GMER. GMER found atapi.sys had been infected with win.Fluereon(something) [sorry, this is from memory]. I killed the file with GMER.

and then I rebooted and hit the 7B BSOD.

I copied a virgin copy of atapi.sys to the drivers and dllcache subdirectories of system32 using MiniXP from Hiren's Boot CD 10.1. I ran chkdsk /f using Hiren's Boot CD 10.1 and fixed several errors. Finally I ran bootfix and rewrote the MBR.

Reboot still gives me a 7B BSOD.

The disk is usable and can be seen both in Linux and Hiren Boot CD's Mini XP. No Safe Mode, either.

HELP???????

OneRing2Rule

Followup: I know the link that I was told to go to, but with a BSOD, I can't run any tools. So, I'm starting this thread as told. Help???

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Hi, OneRing2RuleThemAll :)

:)

Lets give this a try. We will need to scan the computer throughout an External Environment, which simply means you will need to burn a boot CD with especial tools. You will also need a flash drive to move information from the troubled computer to a working computer. It is the only way we can see the progress of our actions. Save these instructions in your flash drive as a text file (use notepad) so you can have access to these while in an external environment (PE).

Here is what you need to do.
  • Download OTLPEStd.exe to your desktop. NOTE: This file is 93.1MB in size so it may take some time to download.
  • Once downloaded, insert a blank CD in your burner and click on OTLPEStd.exe.The executable includes the OTLPE_New_Std.iso and a copy of imgburn, a program to burn .iso files. When executed, the application will extract both and start the burning process automatically.
  • Once the CD is burned, boot the Non working computer using the boot CD you just created.
  • In order to do so, the computer must be set to boot from the CD first
    Note : For information click here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Change Drivers to All
    • Change Standard Registry to All
    • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

/md5start
      eventlog.dll
      scecli.dll
      netlogon.dll
      cngaudit.dll
      sceclt.dll
      ntelogon.dll
      logevent.dll
      iaStor.sys
      nvstor.sys
      atapi.sys
      IdeChnDr.sys
      viasraid.sys
      AGP440.sys
      vaxscsi.sys
      nvatabus.sys
      viamraid.sys
      nvata.sys
      nvgts.sys
      iastorv.sys
      ViPrt.sys
      eNetHook.dll
      ahcix86.sys
      KR10N.sys
      nvstor32.sys
      ahcix86s.sys
      nvrd32.sys
      userinit.exe
      explorer.exe
      ntoskrnl.exe
      /md5stop
      %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
      %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
      %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav

• Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive.
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.