Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stubborn key

• Please log in to reply

voyager242

voyager242

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
HI there,
I have just uninstalled Avast from my PC and everything that is Avast is gone and I have also deleted every key from the registry except the following one:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ASWTDI\0000.As I try to delete it the system shows error in deleting the key.What can I do to delete the key?

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
voyager242-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

There's no real reason to delete that key. It's not causing any problems, and it's certainly not harming your system. Playing with the registry can be dangerous, and there's no real reason to go tampering with it if you're not having any problems.

Are you noticing any problems after removing avast? Is there any reason to indicate that this key must be deleted?

voyager242

voyager242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
So,is it not necessary to delete all keys of a previous security program before installing a new antivirus?

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
In a word, no.

The idea behind avoiding multiple anti-virus programs is that you don't want to programs trying to access/scan/quarantine the same file at the same time- this can lead to crashes, lag, etc.

In your case, one ControlSet key won't cause any problem. If you've uninstalled avast and Windows doesn't recognize the program, then you shouldn't have any problem.

What did you use to uninstall avast?

voyager242

voyager242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I used the Avast uninstallation utility aswclear to remove it and did it in a clean boot mode.

Edited by voyager242, 20 June 2010 - 03:43 PM.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
You should be fine to install whatever AV program you desire.

Any particular reason for dumping avast? I use avast and I'm just curious. :)

voyager242

voyager242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
No great reason,I just like to try out new products.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Alright then. :) Anything else I can help you with?

voyager242

voyager242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
No thanks,but just for the information,is it that some registry values are not possible to delete?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The awsclear is Avast's uninstaller that is used to uninstall the program when remnants are left over from the normal uninstaller. It is used to clean up the system when another virus scanner will not install due to it "seeing" another scanner installed.

You used the correct program.

And...yes....some keys won't delete.
It is best leaving them alone because any messing in the registry could be a disaster.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
:)