Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire M1640 Freezes on boot up

• Please log in to reply

Chimusman

Chimusman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an Acer Aspire M1640 desktop that would not boot up, I have tried a different Processor which seems to work but was unable to read anything on the hard drive. I have since got another hard drive and windows 7 to install as an operating system but the machine still does not boot.

With the windows 7 disk in it starts to boot as if installing Windows. Gets to the screen saying installing then the machine just freezes at this point. What I have noticed is that it is at the exact point that the machine appears to be doing another sort of hardware check, i.e. the lights on the PCI-wireless card flash, the num-, caps- and scroll-lock buttons on the keyboard flash. It at this instant that the bar just stops moving and I can leave the machine there indefinitely.

Although I can access the advanced boot menu, the machine will not start in safemode. (stops on disk.sys now, although I think it may have stopped on a different .sys earlier)

This is the same thing that was happening earlier.

Although it didn't seem to be caused by any of the following, I tried these process-of-elimination type steps (attemped one at a time)
1- Cleared the CMOS
2- Took out the HDD, plugged in another, attempted to boot to recovery CDs
3- Completely removed all HDDs, tried booting to Recovery CDs
4- Removed hardware such as the aforementioned PCI-Wiress Card, DVD-RW, and tried to boot off the hard drive
5- Removed the arbitrarily named memory stick 2, then stick 1 and then used both one at a time in the different physical slots on the board; tried booting off both disks and HDD

Any help appreciated as Acer want an arm and a leg!

Advertisements