Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Messy display

• Please log in to reply

mitk0o0o0

mitk0o0o0

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, i'm experiencing some display problems, here's what's happening:

Today i turned my computer on and it booted normally (mobo logo showed up, loading bar showed up, bios, everything) But when it came time to show the welcome screen the display went all messy and blurry :)

I tried looking for loose plugs and stuff like that but everything seems to be plugged fine. (I can't open up my case because i still have a waranty :/ )

Weird thing is, while in Safe Mode everything shows up fine so that means no hardware is damaged? I tried using System Restore to restore to an earlier date but nothing worked. Tried re-installing my display drivers and that didn't work either. Tried booting Linux and again, booting was fine but when it came to welcome screen display got messy.

I am also too scared to try and re-install my OS because if while installation the display problem occurs i won't be able to finish the instalation and then i won't even be able to use my computer at all because there won't be no Safe Mode.

Specs you may need:

Windows Vista Ultimate x64

RAM:
3GB

DirectX version:
DirectX 11

Graphics card:
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT

This is very weird, please if any of you have experienced this or have any idea what is causing it please post.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong board

Edited by mitk0o0o0, 26 June 2010 - 11:03 AM.

Advertisements

Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Try updating your video drivers. Safe mode boots up with minimal drivers including a very basic video driver. Sounds like your present video driver is corrupt. At least that's where I'd start, then let us know how that goes.

Hope that does it,
Bill

mitk0o0o0

mitk0o0o0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Try updating your video drivers. Safe mode boots up with minimal drivers including a very basic video driver. Sounds like your present video driver is corrupt. At least that's where I'd start, then let us know how that goes.

Hope that does it,
Bill

So I should go to Device Manager -> Display Adapter -> NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT -> Driver tab -> Uninstall driver and then update or just update or roll back?

If that doesn't work then i'll try and re-install the OS and if it fails like i said above, just gonna wait a whole month to get it back from the repair place :)

Edited by mitk0o0o0, 26 June 2010 - 04:43 PM.

Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I believe you can find the driver for your card here. Check this one against your specs and if it matches, download it to a place where you can find it. Then update your current driver.

You shouldn't have to uninstall the one you have, and a roll back would only help if you have already updated the drivers and are now experiencing difficulties.