Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is slow

• Please log in to reply

smallman01313

smallman01313

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I need help speeding my computer up. I have a windows 7 computer and whenever I open up a youtube video my computer starts to go slow or if i open up more then like 4 tabs in firefox. Also when I stream movies or tv shows they are choppy because my computer takes way too long to load the video. I know it's not my internet because when i first got this computer i was able to watch videos on youtube or tv shows at a normal speed. Plus I have cable internet so if anyone can help me speed up my computer please post away. Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

Pcs365

Pcs365

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi, there.

Now we undrestand that your computer is slow and as you strongly beleive Its not your Internet which is troubling let's try and do something which can optimise your Pc.

Now have you deleted the Temporary files on your computer? If not Please do It by clicking on the start button, and then Run, Type %temp% and hit ENTER. The windows that appear's will have all the Temp file's delete all of them as they are not neccessary..

The next step will be, to do a disk clean up, which also help's you to clean all the unwantd files in your drive's..to run It got to the specific drive in My Computer, right click on It and go to properties. You will see Disk clean up in the properties click on It, This will also prevent unwanted file's

And If you are the administrator on the computer, you can also go to start, Run, Type (prefetch), ENTER. Delete all the files you would find there aswell, as these places contain all the activities that were performed in the past. And It is the cache of your recent activities.

And then you can also perform Disk defragmentor, which will help your Hard drive to manage all the files stored in order and firmed. You can perform this action by goind to start, all program's, Accessories, systm tool's, Disk defragment. which will also help in better performance.

*Disable unwanted applications, Kill unwanted process (services.msc), Disable start up programs at (Msconfig)(Which ever Is not needed).

*Run Registry Cleaner.

And now check and see If the performance has increased.

Edited by Pcs365, 29 June 2010 - 06:50 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

*Run Registry Cleaner.

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Sorry for stepping in here but I have several other steps to take. There are several programs we can use to do the steps you are suggesting that have proven to be safe and reliable. I agree with your assessment of the issue but disagree with the use of any registry cleaner program for the reason stated above.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Edited by rshaffer61, 29 June 2010 - 07:24 AM.

smallman01313

smallman01313

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I uploaded the autoruns file and the report from everest. I can't take screenshots with my computer unless I have a program so I made a report for the temperature and that's basically what you would see if i uploaded a screenshot.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe ARM"
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "iTunesHelper"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "svchost.exe"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

smallman01313

smallman01313

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for helping me out i'll let you know how it goes. But I was wondering what types of antivirus programs work on windows 7 and what pop up blockers would you recommend?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I was wondering what types of antivirus programs work on windows 7

I use Avast myself on my XP and Win 7 partitions.

pop up blockers would you recommend

I never use any but simply turn the popup blocker on within IE and Firefox. That seems to stop the majority of them for me.