Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help on CHMOD 777

• Please log in to reply

1Boss

1Boss

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I need help on this if possible, I am a newbie to this, but I follow directions well. I recently purchased Vortex47 Cash Making Websites & in the manual it said to upload a website file to my FTP folder on my hosting site. I did that. I went in and changed the following folders config, db, files & lang as instructed and all files in each directory to the read,write & execute = 777, for permission. Then I was to go to my browser and type in my www.mydomain.com/admin.php to make the necessary changes with my affiliate codes. But every time I go to this page, I get an error message stating:

Not Found

The requested URL /admin.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an Error Document to handle the request.

I don't know what I am doing wrong up to this point. I need to see if anyone can give me some advice please on what I am doing wrong. I tried it twice with two different domains with the same error. It is linux based hosting. I know this is easy and simple, but I am missing something. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Taomech

Taomech

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi Boss,
Are you sure that admin.php isn't in another folder. Eg. www.mysite.com/vortex47/admin.php
You seem to have set the permissions properly, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,
Taomech

1Boss

1Boss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I

Edited by 1Boss, 25 July 2010 - 10:34 AM.

1Boss

1Boss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi Boss,
Are you sure that admin.php isn't in another folder. Eg. www.mysite.com/vortex47/admin.php
You seem to have set the permissions properly, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,
Taomech

I transferred all files from one niche folder to my domain in the public_ftp folder. So admin.php, index.php etc is all included in that folder.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Web files would not belong in the public ftp directory. You need to determine where the files go for your web service. You can put a simple index.html file and see if you can access that. Your provider should have documentation as to where the files need to go.

1Boss

1Boss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Web files would not belong in the public ftp directory. You need to determine where the files go for your web service. You can put a simple index.html file and see if you can access that. Your provider should have documentation as to where the files need to go.

Thanks for the note. Per the manual instructions on set-up, I was to DL all files to the ftp folder, then change the permissions levels on (4) of them, then I would be able to access my admin.php area to make further changes. Then I would move the index.html file to the public_html folder for viewing. But I keep getting the 404 Not Found Error Document Message when I try to access my admin area. That's the problem I am having.

Taomech

Taomech

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Boss,
I would do what Kemasa says, as that seems like it could be your problem. Transfer the files into a folder called public_html or htdocs.
Then try accessing the page again.

Thanks,
Taomech

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

I need help on this if possible, I am a newbie to this, but I follow directions well. I recently purchased Vortex47 Cash Making Websites & in the manual it said to upload a website file to my FTP folder on my hosting site. I did that. I went in and changed the following folders config, db, files & lang as instructed and all files in each directory to the read,write & execute = 777, for permission. Then I was to go to my browser and type in my www.mydomain.com/admin.php to make the necessary changes with my affiliate codes. But every time I go to this page, I get an error message stating:

On a side note chmod 777 is a bad bad idea. If the server(and script) is configured properly 755 should work just fine.

1Boss

1Boss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

On a side note chmod 777 is a bad bad idea. If the server(and script) is configured properly 755 should work just fine.

I did get it to work properly so thanks for the advice. I will try this out too!