Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Refuses to respond to any attempt to connect to the internet. Very fru

• Please log in to reply

Jakk

Jakk

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I have an Advent laptop, it is just over 18 months old. It has developed one or two small problems, which don't seem to affect it's performance; such as I usually just close the lid to hibernate the computer, and normally the time resets itself to 00:00 every time I bring it out of hibernation. Recently it has stopped doing this but when I turn it back on, the time is pretty much the same as it was when I closed the lid, no matter how long it's been hibernating.

Sorry for rambling on but it's just incase anything is related.

The last few days I've been getting a little impatient and just holding the power button to turn the laptop off, as it seems to run better when I turn it back on. I was using the laptop this morning and it was working perfectly. I think I held the power button down when I turned it off. I turned the laptop on this afternoon to show my friend something and this is when the problem started. When it does not connect automatically, I press the FN key and F10 to connect, but this afternoon there was no noise to indicate that it had connected like there normally is. I right-clicked the icon of two screens on the bottom toolbar thingy to click ''Connect to a network'', but when I did this there was no response whatsoever. I turned the computer off (using the holding down power button method) and tried again to no avail. I did this 2-3 times and then gave up and went outside, hoping it would fix itself.

I came to turn the laptop on tonight and the problem is still the same. I have tried to fix it for an hour, but to be honest I really don't know what to do. I tried going into the control panel and clicking ''Connect to a network''. The cursor turned to a hand like it normally would to click a link, and like it had been doing to navigate the control panel. When I clicked it, nothing happened. There was no click from the speakers like there normally is when navigating the control panel etc. Just no response whatsoever.

It will not respond to any ''Connect to a network'' attempts, or anything that involves going online, such as clicking online help icons on the ''Help and support'' section. It will not attempt to open Internet Explorer.

Norton firewalls etc are on and not in need of updates, not reporting any viruses or spyware etc.

Also, it seems to be refusing to turn off in the proper way, i.e selecting the ''Turn Off Computer'' in the Start menu. It stays on the ''Logging off'' screen for ages, it will only turn off in the proper way if you first log off and then select ''Turn Off Computer'' from the user selection screen. It might not have worked even then, I can't remember to be honest.

Please help me, I'm really stuck and pretty frustrated.

Thanks

Edited by Jakk, 02 August 2010 - 05:20 PM.

Advertisements

Jakk

Jakk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Anyone?

tholley

tholley

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

such as I usually just close the lid to hibernate the computer

So would you normally always do this, and never actually turn the system off?

It is always good to power down the computer when not being used. But that is beyond the point now.

Norton firewalls etc are on and not in need of updates, not reporting any viruses or spyware etc.

That does not mean it is not infected tho. I find all kinds of malware Norton misses and that can create problems similar to what you are describing.

Since you are able to post to this forum, I assuming you are using a different computer with a working Internet connection. First thing I would do is post a new topic in the Malware forum, you may need to use a usb drive to download any tools they recommend and transfer to your laptop.

If all comes up clean, then we can take a look at Event Viewer and go from there...

Edited by tholley, 29 July 2010 - 02:05 PM.

Jakk

Jakk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply, I'll post it in the Malware section now.