Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista home premium blinking cursor on startup

• Please log in to reply

ScarabCake

ScarabCake

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey
This morning, I booted up my Dell 1750, and it displayed the normal BIOS screen, and then proceeded to display a blank screen with a blinking white cursor in the top left of the screen.
I got the vista disc that came with the laptop and put it in, booted from the dvd drive, and when it loaded, clicked, 'repair your computer.' It came up with the screen asking me to select an operating system to repair, but there were no selections available... I would've hit 'load drivers', but didn't know what I was supposed to be looking for, and where it was. So I just hit 'next' and ran the startup repair tool. When it restarted, instead of a cursor, it read:
BOOTMGR is missing
Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart
I don't particularly want to reinstall windows, so some advice on how to repair it would be awesome. If this is impossible, is there a way I can recover my files for free before I do? because if I have to pay for file recovery, I won't be able to afford a new hard drive, my current one of which I fear may be a write off...
It's a really bad situation
please help

ScarabCake

Edited by ScarabCake, 02 August 2010 - 12:53 PM.

Advertisements