Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

G drive needs checked for consistency every reboot

• Please log in to reply

Rachel.Hughes

Rachel.Hughes

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys,

A few weeks ago a friend borrowed my laptop (Dell Vostro 1510, running Windows Vista) and I believe he infected it with some kind of virus because all sorts of strange things started happening. In the end I couldn't manage to get a lot of different programmes to work. In the end I did a backup of all my data onto an external hard-drive and completely wiped the computer and reinstalled it. I had run a lot of virus and spyware scans, which found nothing, but even those programmes had been disabled and I was unable to turn my firewall back on. It also kept saying I didn't have administrator privileges to do various things. Anyway...whatever it was, I reinstalled everything from scratch, successfully. I did not transfer all my data straight back across, just my work documents and my photos, as I imagine I have backed up the virus too and I'm not sure what to do about that.

All has been fine so far, until recently, every time I reboot, I get the message "One of your drives needs to be checked for consistency." I have tried rebooting with and without the external hard drive and I'm pretty sure this only happens when my external hard drive (with the data back up on it) is plugged in. The message is that the file system is FAT32, volume serial number 318B-89F4 and it takes about 20 mins to run the check and then says that it has found no problems.

I tried typing fsutil dirty query G: in cmd and it came back with the message "The FSUTIL utility requires that you have administrative privileges" which has me worried because I DO have administrative privileges; I am the only user on this laptop, and it is reminiscent of all that went wrong last time!

If anyone has any ideas or can help me, I am so grateful.

Thanks so much in advance,

Rachel Hughes

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Please post on the malware forum as we aren't allowed to offer malware-related help in this section (in case we end up making things worse).
Please post here: http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/

Rachel.Hughes

Rachel.Hughes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Please post on the malware forum as we aren't allowed to offer malware-related help in this section (in case we end up making things worse).
Please post here: http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/

Thank you - I will do!
Rachel