Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Issue

• Please log in to reply

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hey everyone,

I just set up DSL in my new house. I ran everything through a router. I have my laptop on a wireless connection to the modem, andtwo other computers that are hooked together through the router.

Im trying to get the two computers that are hooked through the router to be able to print off of the same printer.

One computer hosts the DSL software and the router, while the other hosts the printer.
The computer that has the printer, is set up to share the printer.

The path that should be used to get the other computer to find the printer is

//Joanne/Dellphot

But I get a message saying it couldnt be found.

i ran the Win XP home network setup and that didnt do anything either.

Networks dont agree with me. Anyone have any tips or a good guide to start from scratch on how I can get my two wired computer to print from the same printer?

Thanks

Justin

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Did you install the printer on that system?? When you installed it, did you get an option to set it up as a networked printer??

Murray

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

yes I had the option to install it as a network printer, but when I selected that option, it asked me to find the printer by using ip addresses or something along that nature.

I deal with malware =) Networks just arent my thing, so I just installed it as a normal printer.

Justin

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Ouch.. What is that printer using as a port??

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 24 May 2005 - 11:42 AM.

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Its connected via a USB port. its not using and lpt ports.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
I mean the port being used on the system that doesn't have the printer connected to it..

Murray

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
The computer that has does not have the printer connected to it, isnt using any port right now, because I cant even get it to find the printer.

Is that what you mean?

Justin

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Yep.. that's what I mean.. Okay, remove and re-install the printer.. Use the Networked option and put the path to the printer into where it asks for the ip address..

Murray

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hi,

Im installing the print over a network, and its asking me how the printer is connected to the network.

The options are
P2P (attatched to and shared on a remote computer)
Direct Network Attached (connected directly to the network or a network adapter.

I have the printer hooked int othe PC, and then the PC has a cable running to the router.

My guess would be Direct Network Attached....

is that right?

Also when I select Direct network attached, I get a box that pops up called Dell Network Configuration. It wants me to add a printer, by typing in the subnet. Not sure what to do...

Do you think that I need to install the printer first, then go back and install the network drivers for the printer?

Thanks

Justin

Edited by Jfcap, 24 May 2005 - 05:23 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
NO.. use the P2P option !!

Murray

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Ok I did that. Except it asks me for the shared computer name and the printers name. Maybe I should install the printer on the computer and enable sharing, and then install the printer w/ network on the other computer?

Justin

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
I though you gave ne the shared computer name and the printer name once already.. That's what they are looking for..

Also, is the printer "shared" on the system it is connected to??

Murray

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Im reinstalling the printer now on the computer where it is connected to. Then Ill enable sharing.

Then Ill go to the computer that the printer is not connected to and ill install the printer over a network.

Then it will ask me for the Computer name and printer name of the printer on the other computer.

If im thinking of this right, then it should work.

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Ok, so when I try to install the computer over the network on the computer thats not directly connected to the network I enter in the Computer Name and the shared printers name and I get this error message:

Setup could not connect to the remote computer.  Please ensure that you have the computer's name entered correctly and that the computer is turned on.

The name is correct, and the computer is on. Does this mean that I have a problem somewhere in my network (which is likely haha) :tazz:

Justin

Edited by Jfcap, 24 May 2005 - 05:58 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
*L*.. Okay, first of all, go into your My Network Places and click on View Workgroup Computers..

Is the other system showing on BOTH computers??

Murray