Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Icons Disappearing

• Please log in to reply

footballmom57

footballmom57

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
A few days ago my files and folders weren't accessable I "took ownership" of them through security settings on my C drive. Now today my icons are disappearing from my desktop. Applications are still there ,but icons are gone. What could be going on?

Advertisements

footballmom57

footballmom57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

A few days ago my files and folders weren't accessable I "took ownership" of them through security settings on my C drive. Now today my icons are disappearing from my desktop. Applications are still there ,but icons are gone. What could be going on?

Ok , I THINK I know what has happened my son uses my pc and after I questioned him he told me that he deleted my "desktop.ini" files from my desktop!! I was hoping to find them in the recycle bin , but it has been emptied... I have tried using a few file recovery programs I found the files but when I restored them they were saved in a format that I don't recognize. Is there anything I can do???

tholley

tholley

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
You might try System Restore..

Start menu > Accessories > System tools > Restore

Try to restore to a date before he deleted the files. Hopefully that will help.