Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Slowing down, freezing

• Please log in to reply

jones082

jones082

• PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
When I come back from hibernation, my computer starts to gradually slow down, then it freezes.

I have noticed when this happens that my hard disk is very active and my PF Usage climbs from around 350 MB to over 900 MB.

After about 1/2 hour, the PF usage drops down again, and everything is back to normal for the rest of my session.

Operating System Microsoft® Windows XP Professional
Manufacturer MEDIONPC
Model MS-6747
Number Of Processors 1
Processor Description Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Total Memory 512MB
Total Hard Drive 149GB
Display MD7317TC, 17.1" (34cm x 27cm)
BIOS Version IntelR - 42302e31 Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG Phoenix-Award
BIOS v6.00PG
System Uptime 3 Days, 5 Hours, 18M

I am using service pack 3 and all updates are current.

Can anyone help?

Advertisements

rhabdomantist

rhabdomantist

• Pip
  • 6 posts
If this is a recent problem check the link below,

http://social.answer...58-8b063fbda084

as it may be related.

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Thanks for the link, as this just may be the culprit.

I don't see how to turn off Microsoft update and just turn on Windows update. I do not see the options that the links are talking about. Can you help out?

Edited by jones082, 21 August 2010 - 07:08 AM.

rhabdomantist

rhabdomantist

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Go to the update site by clicking on Windows Update in either your start menu list in All Programs or the
Security icon9blue shield) on your IE toolbar or in Automatic Updates in Control Panel. It should take you to
Microsoft Updates OR Windows Update. This wiil depend on whether or not you have Microsoft products such as`Office,
Silverlight, Windows Live, etc. If you end up at Microsoft Updates wait for the option for install(Express or Custom)
appears and on the left side menu click on "Change Settings",then scroll down the page to "Advanced" and disable
Microsoft Updates. The next time you visit you should be on Windows Updates. Also before you disable Microsoft Updates
let it scan for updates in case a "fix" may have been issued for this ot other updates you may have missed. I again
refer you to the link provided previously for more detail andexplanationof the problem and the present workaround.

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Thanks. I disabled the microsoft updates...will see what happens.

rhabdomantist

rhabdomantist

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Not to be confusing but another workaround(without disabling Microsoft Update)has been found, however I am unsure as to what effect
it has on Windows Update. That "fix" is also referenced in the link I provided. In Windows Explorer go to C:/WINDOWS/SoftwareDistribution/DataStore and double click, then rightclick datastore.edb(should be about 161MB)select "Properties" and check "Read Only". I did this myself and it seems to work without any issues. I also found another folder "SoftwreDistribution Old"
(about 700MB)which I copied toanother location and deleted the original without incident. Just thought I would mention thisif yoiu happened to have such a folder and wanted to free up some space. My new folder was created during an earlier attempt to fix the issue.
I mention this in case you may have tried something similar. I am waiting for a reply from Microsoft on the Support Case I have open
concerning this issue. you will probably find a response at the link when as soon as it becomes available.

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
I did see that fix, but disabling the Microsoft updates seems the first step for me at this point. And it seems to have helped. I crashed a few times, and PF usage still seems a bit higher, but I haven't seen over 600 MB, whereas, previously, it was over 1 GB.

I'm going to keep following this for a bit. Thanks again for a great answer, you saved me a boatload of work.