Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restore operating system.

• Please log in to reply

jackieexpress

jackieexpress

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Lenovo laptop computer. It suddenly came up with "no operating system found". I was told it could just need to be restored, so i paid someone to do that...but it would just shut down when they tried, so they say i need a new hard drive. I have been shopping for a new hard drive, but the salesmen always tell me not to do it myself. The replacement of the actual hard drive doesn't seem difficult, but I was never given a restore cd for my operating system. I am on disability so with such a low income I cannot afford to pay the $100 plus that they will charge me. Is this going to be impossible for me to do myself? or is there a way I can read how to do it online on my desktop. I am praying it is possible because I use my laptop on the bad days when i can't get out of bed because of my illness. It is important to keep me going.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If your existing hard drive has failed, I'm afraid you have a problem because your recovery partition containing a backup copy of Windows was probably on it. That's what most PC manufacturer's do instead of giving you a recovery CD, and there is usually a backup program installed which allows you to make your own recovery disks when the computer is new and working okay. This enables you to install Windows on to a new hard disk when disaster strikes.

Because the recovery disk has not been made, and the hard disk appears to have failed, the only option as far as I can see is to contact the PC maker and see if they can supply a recovery CD for your model. Most PC maker's have their own website for customer support which often gives information on the supply of a recovery CD for a small charge by post. Lenovo support is here (you will need to select your country at top of page): http://www-307.ibm.c...s/homeLenovo.do