Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with 2.5" Sata drives

• Please log in to reply

number13

number13

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hullo all.

I'm wanting to upgrade my Playstation 3 with a 250GB 2.5" Sata drive (Toshiba), but also wanting to keep all of my data, so I presumed it would be a simple matter of copying the contents of the PS3's drive (a 40GB 2.5" Sata Seagate) onto a folder on my PC and then copying it wholesale back over into the new drive, before slotting that into the PS3.

However, I'm coming across an incredibly frustrating problem.

I've got a sata to usb convertor (which has mains power), which I can use successfully to access data from 2 old 3.5" Sata drives I have, but not the new 2.5" one I've bought, or the one from the PS3.

So I bought an external (dual-USB powered) enclosure especially designed for 2.5" Sata drives, but that doesn't work either.

Frustrating thing is that the drive appears as "external USB mass storage" in the 'safely remove hardware' bit, but isn't showing up on My Computer, etc.

I've tried this on three seperate machines - a 64bit Vista, a 32bit Vista and an XP machine, and all of them are doing the same thing - Windows is recognising there's a USB attachment, but isn't giving me access.

Anyone think of any solutions to this? I'd be very grateful!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.
The new drive needs a partition on it before My Computer will show it.

Regarding the drive from the PS3, this might be a better way of doing it rather than trying to hook it up a PC, as it would appear this console will insist on formatting any new drive you introduce it to, and this would be the only way you'll get what you want off it beforehand:
http://uk.gamespot.c...6090/index.html

However it would appear the PS3 uses a file format that a Windows PC does not support. No version of Windows supports filesystems from various flavours of Linux, it will insist on wiping the drive given half an opportunity.
You can probably get add-on programs on-line somewhere that allow Windows to at least read it, but probably not write back to it.