Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Monitors & Vista

• Please log in to reply

Cpack

Cpack

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys & Gals,
I would like to hook up a dual monitor system to my Asus CG series computer. I have a dell 19 inch as my main and would like to add my tv as my second monitor. The T.V. has a vga plug but my computer does not have another one, it does have the white plug that resembles a vga also has a HDMI plug. What would be you recommendation on how to do this.

Thanks in advance,
Cpack

Advertisements

Cpack

Cpack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry i put vista i meant windows 7.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
If your TV supports HDMI, then use that. You will get a better picture on the TV. A quick way to get it going is if you have an HDMI set-top box/blue ray player then you already have the cable needed to hook it up and go.

Windows 7 Should recognize the new display almost instantly. If not you can right click on the desktop and go to Screen Resolution. At that point you should see two monitors, one will be grayed out. Click on the grayed out one and select extend my desktop to the monitor. (I believe) hit apply and as long as the tv is on, it should flicker to life with an image of your extended desktop.

Now if your TV is an older TV and doesn't support HDMI you will need a DVI (Male) to VGA (Female) adapter with an VGA Male-Male cable. You can get this at your local radio shack or electronics store that is half way decent. BestBuy & Staples along with most major retailers like them normally do not inventory them.

RadioShack charges about 12-20 bucks depending on quality and whats in stock.