Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer keeps shutting off randomly

• Please log in to reply

OtosReborn

OtosReborn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So, I'm running Windows Vista on a Gateway computer with the following specs:

Vista Home Premium 64 bit with SP1

NVIDIA GeForce 9200 Video Card

Super Multi-format DVD+RW Labelflash

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200

6 GB DDR2

640GB Hard Drive

and.. It keeps shutting off randomly. No warning, not a restart, just completely off. It's taken me 3 times to post this because it keeps shutting off. Please help!

Advertisements

aimi

aimi

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
i used to get that too which was completely piss taking. I still don't know the real reason for it but i have a good guess that it would be due to overheating. sometimes when my laptop shuts down, the bottom of the laptop where the fan operates were really hot so i let it cool down for a while. the fan was covered with thick dust thats why it overheats faster so i did what some people suggested- use a vacuum and try to suck the dust. it worked i think because my laptop doesnt shuts down often anymore and when use it, i put it on a flat surface because it overheats faster if you put it on your lap.
but hey, im no computer whizz, im juststating my experience. your problem could be different from mine but try it out just in case

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does it happen in Safe Mode
Desktop or Laptop?
Name brand is Gateway but what make and model is it?
When was the last time you opened it up if it is a desktop and cleaned it out?
If laptop have you checked the vents on the bottom of it to see if the are clogged?
You should never use a Vacuum to clean the inside of a computer as it could damage components.

OtosReborn

OtosReborn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Does it happen in Safe Mode
Desktop or Laptop?
Name brand is Gateway but what make and model is it?
When was the last time you opened it up if it is a desktop and cleaned it out?
If laptop have you checked the vents on the bottom of it to see if the are clogged?
You should never use a Vacuum to clean the inside of a computer as it could damage components.

Never tried running it in safe mode.

I think it's DX4800-05e

is that right?

It's a desktop, and I've never cleaned it. I don't really know how to, to be honest.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ues it's a desktop.
To clean it you need to open it.
You will need to make sure the system is disconnected from power before starting these steps.
Looking at the front of the system you would take the left side panel off.
You need to purchase at least one can of compressed air or maybe even two since it has been awhile. One important step is to never turn the can upside down while spraying.
Pay close attention to the fan on the motherboard that sits on the cpu and the PSU. Do not let the cpu fan to spin freely while blowing it out as this can cause damage to the bearings. Use a Popsicle stick or q-rip to hold it steady while cleaning.
If you can take a picture and attach it to your next post if you can so we can see the inside again getting nice close shots of the fans. Save the pics as Jpeg files so theyw ill be smaller in size.