Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

assigning a text string to a keystroke (combination)

• Please log in to reply

Basty

Basty

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
How is it done ?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
uh, in what context?

i've got a 12 button mouse that lets me assign keystrokes to some of the buttons. i've also got an application called autohotkey that let's me assing basically anything i want to any action that i can do on the keyboard (even text replacement)

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Specifically, I'd like to be able to enter my email address with a keystroke instead of having to type it fully each time it is required. If I used Autohotkey I would have to have it running permanently in case my email address is asked for; that can be done but is undesirable. A twelve button mouse is beyond my ken and probably expensive - moreover this was posted in a WinMe forum - it's not likely such an upmarket item would work in WinMe. Maybe key-re-assignment is not a normal feature of keyboards ?

Edited by Basty, 12 October 2010 - 06:13 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

A twelve button mouse is beyond my ken and probably expensive

mine (it's a logitech) was around $25

- moreover this was posted in a WinMe forum - it's not likely such an upmarket item would work in WinMe

awfully large assumption. mice are pretty simple gremlins, and their software is typically pretty simple as well.

anywho, with autohotkey you would have to have it running all the time but it doesn't actually use much, if any resources, when it's sitting there idle. it's a pretty simple app.

some keyboards allow you to assign macros to some of their buttons. typically it's a special button or group of buttons specifically for that purpose.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Thank you
I plan to start with autohotkey, and see if it will run in WinMe.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
bah, i forgot to add. for email insertion into web forms, i use the google toolbar. it's got an autofill feature

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Sounds like that is all I need. Just hope it works in Firefox 2.0.0.20 in WinMe.

When I tried to install Googlebar this was triggered at the top "Firefox prevented this site.(www.google.com) from asking you to install software on your computer." Then there is an Edit Options control, which won't open; so I can't make progress. Would the blockage be in the firewall ? or because of version incompatibility ?

When I sought to install the older version of the toolbar, it triggered : "Your operating system(Win9X) is not supported." So I guess it's back to Autohotkey.

Edited by Basty, 13 October 2010 - 04:57 PM.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I'm happy to report complete satisfaction with AutoHotKey. Thank you.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
:D

AHK is a pretty neat program, if you really get into the scripting of the thing you can do some pretty fancy stuff

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Once I saw how beautifully simple it was to 'add' my email address to a 'keystroke', I could not help but be tempted to do the same for other frequently needed strings like my name, address etc. However, I found that the systray (notification area) became crowded with AHK icons - one for each string. Can that be avoided ?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
AutoHotkey Community
http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Thank you.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
No problem. :D

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Once I saw how beautifully simple it was to 'add' my email address to a 'keystroke', I could not help but be tempted to do the same for other frequently needed strings like my name, address etc. However, I found that the systray (notification area) became crowded with AHK icons - one for each string. Can that be avoided ?

sorry i didn't get to this sooner, i was out of town.

if you haven't already gotten to this conclusion, you can put all of your commands in one script, they don't have to be in their own

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I thought the solution you suggested might be the case; but I sought advice from the autohotkey.com forum, from whom I have had NO notification of a response. Would you do me a favour and show me how just two text strings can be incorporated into one script ? Please use the dummy variables of FIRST and SECOND (for names) - just a suggestion.

Edited by Basty, 19 October 2010 - 05:44 PM.