Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it possible to uninstall or stop windows media center from opening/

• Please log in to reply

bountyhunter

bountyhunter

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,

Every single time, after i close a program (mainly a full screen game), WIndows media center always always always opens up automatically.

I have searched far and wide for solutions to turning this feature off or even uninstalling it, but none have worked.

So im wondering if it is even possible to uninstall or turn off? It is really annoying to get this program opening up everytime i close a game. I have tried going to "Default Programs > Set Program Access and Computer Defaults > Custom > Un-ticking the box that says 'enable access to this program (windows media center)'" and now i just get this error box that says "Windows cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy. For more information contact your system administrator." which is just as annoying.

thanks in advance

Edited by bountyhunter, 23 October 2010 - 02:12 AM.

Advertisements

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
hi

i've read few topics on the net and many people encounter the same problem.

the solution is in the game shortcut , you need to right click and select properties and remove -mce from it

check this topic as a example: http://forum.noteboo...dia-center.html

bountyhunter

bountyhunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
thank you very very much! I don't know why, of the 4-5 or so different websites i checked, none had this as a solution.

This worked perfectly and completely solved the issue. This thread can be closed =)