Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rundll32 acting on its own.

• Please log in to reply

magicyte

magicyte

• Pip
  • 2 posts
To start...I've done many removal processes to fix this issue I'll explain. I've done avg, adaware, spyware terminator, ccleaner, zone alarm...blah blah blah. Well, after doing those I have been able to track down a few minor viruses...which seemingly weren't my problem to begin with. My problem I'm trying to solve is rundll32 showing up as 2 processes under task manager when I close internet explorer. and not just when I close iexplorer...but when I delete temp files. I have aboslutely narrowed it down to this one thing...that when I delete temp files...rundll32 runs 2 instances of itself...or rather something else tells it to run. It equally works to bog down the cpu to %100. My temp fix has been to just simply not delete the temp files. Internet works just fine otherwise.

However..rundll32 is continually trying to access programs that I've recently accessed. I didn't catch on until a day ago. I have spyware terminator at the moment blocking it from accessing psr.exe(problem steps recorder). This has been a plague. When I checked out what rundll32 was trying to do...it said "clearmytracksbyprocess 8651"...and even stranger is that after a little bit I did a check again and it has a totally different number code...I'm completely lost. I'm convinced my only solution is to do a reinstall of windows 7. My question...is this able to be fixed?...or would my life just be so much simpler by doing another install. OR...is it possible to do a reinstall without removing my files...would be nice to not have to take out my stuff just to put it all back again. I welcome any ideas or direction to get this crap working straight again:)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If you suspect malware is the cause, this the wrong forum since we aren't allowed to give advice on dealing with malware in the regular forum sections.
You need to post in the malware forum which is manned by trained personnel. Post here: http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/

magicyte

magicyte

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm completely convinced its a glitch winthin windows 7. I've read so many stories about this retarded software doing whatever it wants after a random program install. I've recently added a couple small programs and one of them was Mega Manager...convienient since my problem is related to the internet and that program is 100% associated with it. I figured if windows 7 has been out this long this problem might have been seen often enough to have a guide to track it's source effectively. I'm probably wishfully thinking though. Oh well...[bleep] it. I'm removing my files and doing a full reinstall. Beats all the wasted time tracking down a registry fix when a fresh install does the same in half the time. Thanks for the help.