Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

JkDefrag, a.k.a. MyDefrag

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Just curious if there is an advantage to using JkDefrag (MyDefrag) vs. Disk Defragmenter found under accessories>system tools for Windows XP. I've noticed some members of GTG have lists of software they advertise or recommend included in their forum posts. JkDefrag is one of them.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi konakula29er,

Windows Disk Defragmenter has the following limitations:

• It does not defragment files residing in the Recycle Bin or files that are in use. In particular, this includes the registry, page file and hibernation file.
  • Prior to the Windows Vista release, only one volume could be analyzed or defragmented at a time and only one instance could run.
  • Only local volumes can be defragmented, network volumes are not supported.
  • The GUI version prior to Windows Vista cannot be scheduled, however the command line utility since Windows XP and later can be scheduled.
  • Unlike previous versions, the GUI version in Windows Vista does not display a map of disk fragmentation, nor does it display progress during defragmentation.

In addition, the Windows 2000 version has the following limitations which were removed in Windows XP:

• Defragmenting NTFS volumes with cluster sizes larger than 4 kilobytes (KB) is not possible.
  • It is not possible to perform fine-grained movement of uncompressed NTFS file data in Windows 2000. Moving a single file cluster also moves the 4 KB part of the file that contains the cluster.
  • EFS encrypted files are not defragmented.

Where as JkDefrag is much more advanced and goes beyond those limitations. JkDefrag is updated more often, includes an even stronger optimization strategy, plus several other customizations not found in the Windows Disk Defragmenter.

JkDefrag has a wide range of options. If it is run without options it optimizes speed by classifying files into 3 zones:

1. Directories and system files
2. Regular files
3. Large files referred to as "space hogs" in the documentation

Files outside their zone are moved to their zone. Directories are perhaps the most accessed data on disk, so zone 1 is placed at the beginning of the drive. After the directories comes a free space area, then zone 2 with regular files, another free area, and then zone 3 with "space hogs", which are large files, archives, recycle bin contents, service pack files, and other infrequently accessed data.

I, too, was introduced to this program from here at Geeks to go and just love it! But it is fairly new to me. I've tried many others just to see what they have to offer. Wasn't as impressed with them as I am JkDefrag. Still new to me though.

Other members may have a more professional opinion that has utilized this tool over a longer period of time than I. So stay tuned in and let's see what they have to say as well!

Donna :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'll chime in here also on this topic just with my preference.
Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed and space you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Now my explanation isn't as informative but I do like Auslogics. That is not to say I don't like JKDefrag but I just settled with Auslogics instead. They both are great programs in the end and as DonnaB says JK and Auslogics both do a better job then Windows defrag in my opinion.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
What a great teaching moment and thanks for the education :D ;) ;)

Both JkDefrag and Auslogics defrag sound like winners. It will be interesting to give one a try. I appreciate the information.

Greg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and please let us know what your final decision is. We are always interested in which you chose and why. ;) :D

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I went with the Auslogics Defrag program. Just used it within the last hour on my computer and thought it was great. I sure like the GUI! Just finished installing it on my wife's computer and ran it there as well. I think we'll both be happy with the choice. Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Another program or actually two you might be interested in our TFC or ATF. :D
Either does a really good job of cleaning up temp files and browser files along with history. I will include the instructions for both below if you would be interested.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.
[/list]

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I've actually been using ATF Cleaner for the past two years now. I also have CCleaner installed as well. Have not used TFC by OldTimer yet. Does it provide any additional benefits over ATF Cleaner and CCleaner I should be aware of?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am not a fan of CCleaner and I like TFC better. It seems to do a lot better job at cleaning temps out then ATF. Both ATF and TFC are good programs. If you are happy with ATF then I would suggest staying with it.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

As posted by konakula29er:
What a great teaching moment and thanks for the education

WOW! You're not kidding! I'm going to try the Auslogics Defrag program as well! Doesn't hurt to experiment till you find what you feel most comfortable with. Right guys?

As posted by rshaffer61:
Another program or actually two you might be interested in our TFC or ATF.

I use both before I defragment. Certainly leaves less to defragment which ultimately decreases defragment time down to a minimum.

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

And as for Ccleaner, well I put that program in the "closet" and stopped recommending it due to the Registry Cleaner that is included with it. In my training I have found that many professionals shy away from registry cleaners because there have been reports of them clearing out needed registry entries and messing up PCs. In addition, what they do clean up is so small that little or no advantages are noticed.

@ konakula29er, as rshaffer61 suggests, try TFC. I'm quite sure you'll like it.

Donna :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

WOW! You're not kidding! I'm going to try the Auslogics Defrag program as well! Doesn't hurt to experiment till you find what you feel most comfortable with. Right guys?

:D

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Now you have taught me something DonnaB. Very interesting information. ;) ;)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Now you have taught me something DonnaB. Very interesting information.

Wonderful! ;) :D

American author Lloyd Alexander once quoted, "We learn more by looking for the answer to a question and not finding it than we do from learning the answer itself." Oh how true!

If there is one thing that I have learned in these "corridors of knowledge" here at Geeks to go is that, "Learning is a lifetime process, but there comes a time when we must stop adding and start updating." (Robert Brault; free-lance writer)

From the newer perspectives we grow. From the older perspectives curiosity grows. For those who think they are perfect have no room to grow. (me!)

Just goes to show..without input from each other we would still be drawing pictures on cave walls! ;) ;)

Edited by DonnaB, 05 November 2010 - 04:51 PM.