Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp file transfer wizard not compatible with Win7

• Please log in to reply

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good evening,

I recently upgraded from windows XP home edition to Windows 7 professional. Unbeknownst to me at the time, the easy transfer file wizard creates .dat files that are not recognizeable by any future windows operating systems. So now I have many years of accumulated data on an external hard drive that I can not get to and use. I have licensed copies of both the XP and the Windows 7. I have searched through both of them and found several things, the most important being there is no way they explain to get these .dar files back. Can anyone help me?

Jason

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Um, the File Transfer Wizard is and always was intended purely for migration from Windows 98, ME or 2000 to XP. It was never intended to be used for any other operating system of Windows.

You'd have done far better to put the important stuff on its own on an external drive. The programs wouldn't have mattered as you'd have had to wipe the machine anyway.

Your best bet at this point may be to put XP back on, then you should be able to transfer back out the data you've compacted with the wizard, and then put it back on the external drive without using any wizards of any kind. After Win7 the files are easily accessible from the external drive.