Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

from linux ubuntu to windows7

• Please log in to reply

chao3z

chao3z

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I bought windows7, could i install it on my Computer:
i7 quad core (64-bit) 3.2 ghz
8gb ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT240 GDDR-3 1024MB
And here are some questions:
1) when i install windows, can i use it without serial key for some days?
2) Could there be any errors with instalation? (what should i do first...)
3) is there any way to roll back to linux ubuntu if installations fails?

Thanks!

Edited by chao3z, 26 November 2010 - 08:24 AM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
1. I am not so sure about your first question. Usually when I install Windows, the installer asks for the serial key during the installation. I would recommend you get the serial key before you try installing Windows.

2. Are you running Ubuntu without any other operating system on your hard disk? If you wanted to just switch over to Windows you should just let Windows wipe the drive and format it the way it wants to. Just remember to backup your data beforehand. If installing this way there shouldn't be any errors. If you wanted to set up a dual boot, it gets more complicated but there are plenty of guides online to help you through the process. GRUB errors may result from this but they are usually easily fixed.

3. If the dual boot fails and it cannot be fixed, you can wipe your hard drive and reinstall ubuntu. It should work fine.

Aaronor

Aaronor

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
That's a great computer with awesome specs you got there, I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to. I can boot Ubuntu from Windows, but not sure if Ubuntu to Windows would work. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread.

Drix

Drix

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Lifehacker has a great article on dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

1) when i install windows, can i use it without serial key for some days?

You will have to add the serial # key when you install. With the installation it will want you to register it. That usually needs to be done within 30 days. During that time you can use the computer.

tazz123

tazz123

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
yp go head man.. you have perfect configuration to install WIN Se7en.... m using it on p4 with a low mb graphics but it working well,, just it need a good virtual memory and atleast 20 gb free , it will work awesome with your conf..