Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Flash Drive Letters

• Please log in to reply

Gouverneur

Gouverneur

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
My system is somewhat complex. I have three hard disks, two USB Flash Drives, & two external hard disks. I run five operating systems using a Boot Manager.

To help keep track of files/folders, all my partitions & flash drives have autorun.inf files to assign meaningful names & I use Disk management to assign drive letters, rather than accepting the OS defaults.

My two USB Flash Drives are used frequently.

One displays in Windows Explorer as HouseCall (used when helping computer illiterates) & is assigned Drive letter "H". Win7 often assigns a different drive letter (usually F or G) to this USB Flash Drive.

The other displays in Windows Explorer as Yorktown (A bridge club) & is assigned Drive Letter “Y”. Win7 never assigns a different Letter to this USB Flash Drive.

The above is a trivial, but annoying problem. I suffer from mild OCD & insist on reassigning “H” to my HouseCall Flash Drive.

BTW: The Hard Disk Drive letters assigned by me are C, D, E, I, M, P, S, & T, leaving F & G available for assignment by Win7.
As noted above, F & G are often assigned to my “H” USB Flash Drive, but the “Y” Flash Drive never gets reassigned.

Any thoughts relating to the above?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
It's not uncommon for removable drives to be assigned various drive letters at different times as it depends in what order they are plugged in to the PC (and therefore which letters are already being used by drives plugged in earlier).
As far as I'm aware you can't avoid this unless you plug them all in and never remove them, or make sure you plug them in exactly the same order every time.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 22 December 2010 - 11:44 AM.

Gouverneur

Gouverneur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
PhillipCorcoran Thanx ! I think your reply is correct. I probably do not plug the Flash Drives into the same port every time.