Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DOS & Boot problem

• Please log in to reply

nanazap

nanazap

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I have a MAJOR headache going here...ALL DAY NOW! Was installing Windows 7 upgrade over Vista. The program was stopped without completing install/upgrade. Now the thing will not boot up into Windows, it starts up with a DOS Window only. Please help get out of DOS and install new Windows 7 upgrade. PLEASE :D

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Do you mean that you are able to type commands in it? Or is it an error message that appears?

If possible, try:

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

nanazap

nanazap

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you for the reply. I did try both of them. I don't know much about the DOS stuff, but the windows start screen is behind the little DOS screen and I can type commands in the DOS window, but it really has taken be nowhere and each time I close the DOS screen it trys to open windows, then the DOS screen comes back. I have been messing with it all day today.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Does the Task Manager appear if you do CTRL + ALT + DELETE ?

nanazap

nanazap

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, No, it will not open the Task Manager either.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Hi, nanazap. How's your holiday? Has the problem been solved or is it still there?

What's your previous Vista version and what's the Windows version of the CD that you're using to upgrade to Windows 7?

Did you ever try the upgrade again?

Does the following link help?

http://windows.micro...ta-to-windows-7