Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP BSOD Will Not Boot

• Please log in to reply

jarg1985

jarg1985

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi, it seems that whenever I go to start up my other computer that runs Windows XP it crashes during the boot with a BSOD. This happens when I boot normally, in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, everything crashes, nothng seems to work. Before it had this problem I am not sure if it is malware related but i had many driver and gpu problems previously which may have contributed greatly to this, it could also be malware or a mix of both as I have no idea the distinction between the two. I feel it should also be mentioned that the computer that is getting these BSOD's on is running Windows XP on SP2. Also I do not have the XP CD so I cannot boot from the CD. The text that the BSOD's all seem to have in general is of these sorts:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x867E05D8, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks! :D

Edited by jarg1985, 25 December 2010 - 10:53 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Your hard drive is having problems or the file ntfs.sys has been damaged. See if the F-secure rescue disk
http://www.f-secure....ools/rescue-cd/
will help. Believe it will let you get your files off the disk if it's not too bad. May let you replace the ntfs.sys file in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ with the one in C:\Windows\System32\Dllcache. Never tried it before but it might let you run check disk too.

Alternatively download the disk checking software from the maker of your hard drive (boot into CMOS setup and it will usually tell you the model number so you can google and find the maker). You will need the extended check which takes overnight to run.

Ron

jarg1985

jarg1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi, and thank you very much for the quick reply! I was reading about the rescue disk that you mentioned above and it says use in both of its example cases if malware was the suspected cause of the boot failure. In my case it may be a more 80%/20% case 80% being I think it was caused by me trying to update drivers incorrectly causing a hardware issue and 20% malware. My question is if I do in fact use rescue disk, will it have any negative or irreversible damage/data loss on that other computer if it is failing to boot not due to malware? As I have some very valuable and irreplaceable documents on that laptop, thank you! :D

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
It shouldn't hurt anything especially if you boot it then rescue your documents before you let it do a scan or attempt any file manipulation.

jarg1985

jarg1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi, sorry for the long gap in replies as I have been away for two weeks. I just recently tried the rescue disk, burned it to a cd, then tried it on the unbootable laptop without prevail. It said it could not access my disk drives on that laptop when the rescue disk started. I was able to boot from the cd but thats basically it. Any other way to get my files at least off of the other laptop? Thanks again!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Sounds like the drive has died. See if you can get into the CMOS/BIOS setup. Usually it will tell you how during the boot. If not try F1, F2, F10 or Del. Once you get into setup see if it detects your hard drive. If it does then note the part number, google it to find out who makes it then visit their website and download the drive test cd. Sometimes the extended drive check which take many many hours will admit that the drive is sick and ask you if you want to try repairing it. Say yes.

jarg1985

jarg1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi, and thanks for the reply! So i was able to get into the BIOS setup, but it doesnt seem to tell me my Hard Disk Drive's Model number or manufacturer. Im looking under the system tab and under device info all it says is:
Primary hard Drive= 160 GB HDD
Fixed Bay Device= DVD+/-RW
then followed by video controller type ect, any place I can find what im looking for? Or can I possibly just remove the Hard Drive and extract the files manually to an external hard drive, then get them to my new computer here? Thanks!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
If you pull the drive it should say on the side of the drive who makes it and give you a model number. If the drive is still good enough to read but not boot off then using an external adapter is a viable option. I once had a laptop which wouldn't boot. Stuck the drive on an external USB adapter and still couldn't read it. Ran the manufacturer's extended test (which took 19 hours!) and it said it had found errors and might be able to fix them if I wanted it to. I said yes and 30 seconds later windows told me it had detected a new drive and I was able to read it tho it wouldn't boot. If I remember correctly it was a Western Digital drive.