Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

johns8166

johns8166

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm currently working on an Acer.
The computer wouldn't boot. After some troubleshooting I found that it was the HD. It failed the DFT advanced test at 26%.
So, I imaged the drive onto a new hard drive. I backed up all the data at this point.

I'm still not able to wipe the HD and restore Windows. Sometimes it gets stuck at the part where it's loading Windows from the CD. At other times it gets through but gets stuck at a blank screen with a blinking cursor. Other times the monitor flashes random characters and symbols.

Does anyone see what's wrong here?

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Hardware problem.

First, do a Memtest and let it run over several passes (not just one or two).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

After some troubleshooting I found that it was the HD. It failed the DFT advanced test at 26%.
So, I imaged the drive onto a new hard drive. I backed up all the data at this point

So far everything is right what you have done.

I'm still not able to wipe the HD and restore Windows. Sometimes it gets stuck at the part where it's loading Windows from the CD. At other times it gets through but gets stuck at a blank screen with a blinking cursor. Other times the monitor flashes random characters and symbols.

What about the data you already copied over? If you load a OS after copying the data it will most likely format the drive causing the copied data to be lost.

Have you taken the old drive completely out of the system now?
Have you ran diagnostics on the new drive to make sure it is not faulty?
Is the optical drive correctly working?
Is the OS disc clear of any dust or scratches?
Is this a OEM, Retail or burned copy of the OS?

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
I think I misunderstood the OP's post (once again). If you're saying that the first hard drive is still having issues (not the new one), then of course it's going to have issues. It's a dying hard drive.

Anyway, I'll let rshaffer61 continue with this, as he has you in the right direction.

johns8166

johns8166

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It was the RAM. I found a compatible stick laying around and put it in and the computer booted. I'm ordering more RAM now and will put all the data back on the original HD and run chkdsk/f on it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the system is running then before ordering ram you need to make sure you ahve the right stuff you are going to order.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.