Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS Not Found Diver needed Problematic

• Please log in to reply

athome34

athome34

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry this shows twice, I am new and was trying to edit. Happy New Year. Hi, and thank you for this forum.

System info: Hp Windows Vista Home Premium, Compaq Presario F700 Notebook (F765CA), Product# KP027UA#ABC

1)Have to use F8, last known configuration, for start up. Otherwise the screen stays grey, with a tiny flashing bar on top left. Eventually it says "Operating System not found". Event Viewer shows, Boot Driver Missing as of Dec23/10.

2} Had to restart again today as Avast required this for an update. It was almost impossible to even use F8.

3) After hours of study found the new driver needed in the device manager. It is
" NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management.

4) The problem is that, in my Device Manager, the driver properties for this device show " no driver installed ", while the driver details show the 3 files for it, as if it were installed.
Files \system32\NVCOSMB.DLL ... \system 32\nvsmb.nvu ... \system32\nvsmb.exe

5)I tried to update this driver and NVIDIA showed " up to date ", as if it were installed. Then I rolled back the driver and it updated alright. My computer started up correctly twice and then today, after I had to restart for an Avast update, it was almost impossible to start up even with F8. It took multiple tries with frantic beeping as F8 was pressed. When I then checked the Event Viewer it showed " diver was dumped ".

6)I tried to find the correct driver to install on the NVIDIA site, using all the procedures shown, and could not find it. So, I am afraid to uninstall the driver? , or the files for it. I realize that I should not turn off the computer again, even for updates.

I am just learning and fear I may ruin my computer.
Thank You for your thoughts on this and help is much appreciated, athome34.

Edited by athome34, 01 January 2011 - 03:59 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Drivers for laptops are supplied by the laptop manufacturer via their website.
Go here and click on the purple text to expand the list. Choose the exact model number from the list (look underneath the laptop casing): http://h10025.www1.h...ario F700&=#N29

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 03 January 2011 - 08:32 AM.