Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting the 7E BSOD on a Vista PC

• Please log in to reply

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Im new here, and I'm a retired PC tech, who's still trying to help a few friends and old customers.
I have a (Vista Home Premium) PC on my bench doing the 7E Stop Error, which I don't seem to be able to fix.
I am reading another thread on a similar topic with GREAT interest.

This PC is only about a year old, it's an ACER mini desktop with integrated video and two sticks of 2 gig ram.
I share this question with the OP of another thread, , , "why would the PC run perfectly GOOD in Safe Mode, even going on the internet, with no BSOD's at all, but just booting up in Normal mode goes right to the dreaded 7E BSOD?

I've taken the HD out and connected it to my own desktop as a slave drive, where I ran all my Anti-Malware software on it and repeated 'CHKDSK /r /f' on it.

When I searched the web for a fix for this problem, I found a fix in the form of a program to download, but every time I click on the "Download" button, I get a file not found type of error. So here I am, looking for an answer to this problem.
I can just reformat and reload an OS, but I'd rather fix this PC if I can.

Cheers Mates!
The Shadow :D

Edited by TheShadowFL, 10 February 2011 - 09:48 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

This PC is only about a year old, it's an ACER mini desktop with integrated video and two sticks of 2 gig ram.
I share this question with the OP of another thread, , , "why would the PC run perfectly GOOD in Safe Mode, even going on the internet, with no BSOD's at all, but just booting up in Normal mode goes right to the dreaded 7E BSOD?

This statement alone points to a driver issue since in safe mode the system loads generic drivers.
Do you know if there was a recent update to any drivers mainly video is where I would start with.

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hmmm! I don't know. It seems there was some kind of software issue, like maybe some malware. Should I try a driver roll-back on the video? It does sort of point in that direction, doesn't it?
(I feel like I'm really getting too old for this stuff)

:D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would try a system restore back to a couple of days before the issue started. If that doesn't work then do the following.

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista\Win7. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I feel like such a Nube!
This PC absolutely will NOT come up in Normal mode, but only in SAFE MODE.
There are many functions that do not work in Safe Mode. Eh?

Method #1 did find a folder for event viewer, but it was empty. :D

I followed your Method #Two, to the letter but under event viewer there is no "Local" no mater where I look, and every window (right pane) that I can open says there are "0" entries. Is this because I'm in SAFE mode?

I'd love to do a System Restore but that function does not work either.

I did recently remove a POC, called "Babylon" from this computer, but afterward it did run OK. That was a couple of weeks ago.

Frustrated in Florida :D

Edited by TheShadowFL, 10 February 2011 - 10:48 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I followed your Method #Two, to the letter but under event viewer there is no "Local" no mater where I look, and every window (right pane) that I can open says there are "0" entries. Is this because I'm in SAFE mode?

Most likely but we can try a different way.
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 10 02 2011
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 10 02 2011
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
:D :D :D

I feel like I'm in a Three Stooges movie.... :D

I'm in SAFE MODE on that PC. I cannot get an internet connection and the Troubleshooter won't run in SAFE MODE. So I'm on my main PC, right now. etc.

I did download that little program and transported it to the shop via a Flash Drive.
I ran it on the (BAD) PC and it showed Nothing. Same as before.

I must leave on a service call now. But I'll be back later.
Thanks for all your assistance, so far.

Cheers Mate!
;)

Edited by TheShadowFL, 10 February 2011 - 11:20 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK in Safe Mode we can do it with disabling entries in MSConfig Startup.
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
TheShadowFL

Please be assured that my advice on the other thread - asking you to start your own thread, as trying to help two people on the same thread is confusing for all concerned was correct advice.

It was not, a question of you commenting on the issue, in the other thread, you are of course more than welcome to do so. It was the fact that YOU were asking for help with YOUR problem.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you, as the message you sent me tneds to suggest you were in doubt about the correctness of my request.

Sir,
I didn't start another thread on exactly the same topic, because that's frowned on in most forums.
I was just adding a +1 to the topic already started.
Like saying "Me too!".

But if you want me to waste bandwidth (server space) by starting another thread on exactly the same topic.... I suppose I can do that.
Wayne (The Shadow)

That all said, Welcome again to Geeks to Go, as I said on my original request and I hope your problem is sorted.

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank you....this rotten little PC has definitely got my ire up. I fully understand your point.
I'm a Global Moderator on another help forum that is being closed down and the owner suggested this as a place I might come to.
I've been a tech for about 45 years and every once in a coon's age, I hit a wall I can't seem to climb over. This is one of those occasions.

I've already dumped all the stuff in the Startup Folder and I even installed a basic VGA driver, to no avail. I also ran the new Memtest86+ that was mentioned earlier. No errors.

Just reformatting this beastie and starting over is looking better all the time. I have
about one more day to futz with this thing and then I have to make it work again, one way
or another. I've already backed up all the users personal files.

Thanks again guys.

PS:

OK, we can put this thread to bed. I fixed it! Here's what I had to do.

When I started working on this PC, I checked the CMOS battery and it was down to 9.75vdc, which for all intents is BAD. Ok I changed it, but only after leaving it out for about a half hour, to totally clear the CMOS. I then set up the BIOS manually, using the best setting I could, from memory.
OK, after many tries I could not get Vista to start in Normal mode, indicating some sort of Off-The-Wall conflict between the Vista drivers and the motherboard.
So, I cleared the CMOS again and set it to Factory Defaults.
Only after that was I able to restore a Ghost Backup Image that I made back in September and it worked. I'm currently bringing the whole PC up to date with all the latest versions of software. I won't drag this out any longer. This PC is fixed and this thread is DONE.
Thanks for all those who have offered me assistance.
Blessings,

Edited by TheShadowFL, 10 February 2011 - 08:22 PM.