Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD on my new computer

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
WOW your errors are all over the place.

Let me ask have you just recently updated any drivers in your system?

Advertisements

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Yes I manually downloaded and updated the ATI Radeon to the latest version, and whatever windows updated automatically. Nothing else that I can think of.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm did this start right after the last update?

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
It's been like this since I got the machine. It is a custom build, and apparently when a tech tried to fix it at the beginning, they formatted the drive with XP and didn't have the BSOD. As soon as WIN 7 was installed, it happened again. We even changed the mother board thinking that was the issue. It worked for about 4 days, then started BSODing again. It's a rogue box -lol

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm was XP the original OS?
Where did the Win7 come from?

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
No. It was a new hard-drive with a brand new store bought copy of WIN 7. I bought them both at the same time. The secondary drive that is also in the box was the drive that was previously in there, but it got sick with some malware. That drive was cleaned and put in as a secondary.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This comment is why I asked.

when a tech tried to fix it at the beginning, they formatted the drive with XP and didn't have the BSOD. As soon as WIN 7 was installed, it happened again.

Why would the tech use XP to format and then install Win7?
Did they install XP and then do a upgrade to Win7?

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
To rule out the hardware issue I guess. I don't really know. I actually think they used a working drive with XP on it. Don't think they had XP on this drive, now that I think about it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How long ago was all this done?
We can try a Startup repair for Win 7 and see if that corrects the issue. With all the hardware showing nothing wrong the only other option is to test the video card and try a startup repair.
To do a stress test go HERE and follow the instructions.

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
It was done about 3 months ago. I also ran the stress test for the video. It looked fine to me. No abnormalities and the temp went to 81-82 degrees and fluctuated between those two. I ran it for 2 minutes though. How long should I have let it run for?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
rshaffer61 and wolftone

Hope you do not mind me coming in on this at such a late stage.

It's been like this since I got the machine. It is a custom build, and apparently when a tech tried to fix it at the beginning, they formatted the drive with XP and didn't have the BSOD. As soon as WIN 7 was installed, it happened again. We even changed the mother board thinking that was the issue. It worked for about 4 days, then started BSODing again. It's a rogue box -lol

I presume the answer is YES, but If that motherboard was NOT exactly the same model as the old one then you would be well advised I think to ensure the NEW motherboard drivers were installed. I apologise if I have missed this somewhere in the thread.

Also that graphics card requires a PSU that is capable of supplying 109 watts at idle and up to 150 watts on normal load and 220 watts on heavy 3d gaming.. As you have in Who Crashed many reports indicating thermal issues, I would suggest that if your PSU is not at least 400 watts these may be caused by the PSU. YOU HAVE NOT BY ANY CHANCE overlocked have you, including tweaking memory voltage etc.

As soon as WIN 7 was installed, it happened again.

Tends to suggest, perhaps not the PSU but I still think it worth checking

If you have the ATi catylyst control centre installed ENSURE you are not overclocked
THIS IS from your Graphics card.
To overclock the reference Radeon HD 4670 graphics card, I used ATI Overdrive that is part of the CATALYST Control Center. When you 'unlock' the ATI Overdrive, you can manually set the clock and memory settings or let the 'auto-tune' utility set the frequencies for you. Just for fun, I tried out the auto-tune feature to see if it could really find a stable clock configuration and it worked in just a few minutes and did not lock up the system. Before I dive deeper into overclocking I wanted to point out that at idle the GPU core clock runs at 165MHz and the memory runs at just 250MHz in order to save power. CATALYST Control Center showed that the GPU temperature was just 32C, which is great for any discrete graphics card at idle.
This is the link to the guide. That control centre enables immediate inspection of the settings
http://www.legitrevi...article/792/10/

OBVIOUSLY, stay with whatever "rshaffer61" suggests, I post only as a suggestion after the GPU stress test.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 February 2011 - 05:23 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does the bsod happen within 2 minutes of you playing the game?
If so then running the test for the same amount of time should have triggered the BSOD. If not then I would say we need to look at the OS itself at this point.
Macboatmaster does bring up a good point with the OCing. If you have done this it would be wise to return the settings to the original factory settings and try to see if the BSOD happens again.

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
OK guys the latest
I ran the video stress test without a problem
I ran catalyst and did the auto-tune and it ran fine.
I then ran Black ops - It crashed on the loading/ story screens, but the computer stayed up.
I ran it again - it froze and I had to restart the computer
The computer came on line, then blue screened after it loaded windows with the following:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7f
BCP1: 0000000000000008
BCP2: 0000000080050031
BCP3: 00000000000006F8
BCP4: 000000007785E790
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

It loaded back up again and runs fine, but if I run black ops again, it will blue screen again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Where did Black Ops come from?
Is it retail , downloaded or a burned copy?

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
lmao - It's a full retail copy, but the computer was BSODing way before Black ops was installed. I only use it because I know it will freeze the computer or blue screen it for sure. I also checked my PSU, and it is 600 Watts
Thanks guys

Blessings

Martin