Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 auto shut down Virus/Spyware/Malware

• Please log in to reply

MadForPlaid

MadForPlaid

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I am running Windows 7 and was opening a WinRar.exe setup file. After running what I understood and downloaded as the setup file for the evaluation application, my computer immediately displayed a dialog box for a fraction of a second (I was unable to read any of the message), the computer shut down on its own, and I was unable to reopen Windows 7 normally.

After trying Safe Mode, I eventually got it to start up. No regular EXEs could be launched, i.e. Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Word, Acrobat, etc. The mouse cursors would just spin with nothing happening. I next tried the iexplore.exe file in the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer folder, and that did actually work.

In summary, I cannot run Spybot, Ad-Aware, or others to see if I have a virus or malware/spyware issue that is causing the above troubles.

Please advise with what may help get the system working again.

Thanks so much,

Paul

Advertisements

MadForPlaid

MadForPlaid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I went ahead and attempting a System Restore to 3 days ago, but the same symptoms are reoccurring.

Additionally, I was able to snap a picture of what was happening (showing on the screen) when attempting to launch Windows normally. Please see the attached file, bsod.jpg

Lastly, my McAfee AntiVirus starts in the off position, and when I try to turn it on, within a second or two it turns off again.

I await word from somenody as to what solutions there may be.

Thanks,

Paul

Attached Thumbnails

• bsod.jpg

Edited by MadForPlaid, 28 February 2011 - 01:21 AM.