Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Difficulty running laptop

• Please log in to reply

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi,

My Computer is still doing some of the problems that I had before,
such as If I try and close a webpage, I find that the page often wont close
easily... and I often get the Close box above ( ie where the above top right hand side of the webpage page shows a close red box, and mimimise box /expand restore box..
often the middle box gets greyed out...and I get a box appear that I have to click on
to close a page....I can also still tell that the curser is flickering.

Honestly, I don't have yet an idea as to what's causing it. It could be a software conflict. I wanted first to eliminate the possibility of malware doing this and then proceed to trimming down active processes.

If it's still not fixed then: we'll proceed to boot with only the essentials windows processes loading (clean boot) and observe if windows is behaving properly; then continue adding each services and start-up until we find the offending application.

Advertisements

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi Sal,

Sorry for my delay in responce. I have been a bit distracted and may be on and off the next
day or two.

But..Thank you for explaining..

I will delete the old java and upload a new version.

What I thought however was that Java just asks that you update and that it does so
with either updated versions or add ons.

As I did say , I am almost certain I only updated it in the last two weeks.

Unless it is a different version to what you recommend..

or does it make any difference if its updated via IE or Firefox ?

Cheers

Dowsp

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts

or does it make any difference if its updated via IE or Firefox ?

No it won't matter how you installed the updated versions however, old version will be left on your system which will need to be uninstalled since it is vulnerable to exploits.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi Sal,

I have attempted to upgrade Java,

I deleted the old version and uploaded the new one that you recommended.

I was a bit puzzled as I had a version already on my computer that I thought was updated...it was a version 24 ( but I think it was a different make )
... and the latest one that you referred to is 23..BUT this was showing V 24..

This is what is an oricle version...

I am not sure if it made any difference if I would have deleted the old version first before uploading the new version... would it had made any difference ?

I dont know if it is an essential requirement
, but I was taken to a webpage requesting that I open an oracle account.

when I tried to do so, For some reason, when It will not create an account.
it doesnt seem to work... and it just redirects me back to the same log in page.

If this is required and I am unable to create the account persumably to
register my details..then I dont know if Java will work on my machine.

Could you advise at all ?

Thank you

Dowsp

==============================
Upgrading Java :

Download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE)JRE 6 Update 20 .

Click the JDK 6 Update 23 (JDK or JRE) "Download JRE" button to the right.

Select your Platform, Register and check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement.".

Click on Continue.

Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation ( jre-6u23-windows-i586.exe)

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Oh, my bad. The latest version should be JDK 6 Update 24. :D

Tell me if you already it have and then we'll proceed.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi Sal,

I am still a bit puzzled... about the old version that I had.. as to if it was the same
version. I can now see two Java programs in add / remove programs...
BUT I had initially removed the OLD version before installing the new one.

BUT I think that I have now managed to upload the one that you reffered to..
only it is now a newer version 24..

Initially It seems to have possibly made a difference and may have improved performance
of how the machine is running..

but I still think maybe my curser is still flickering as I write..

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi,

Initially It seems to have possibly made a difference and may have improved performance
of how the machine is running..

but I still think maybe my curser is still flickering as I write..

Great. Now what we are going to try is somewhat of an school way. We're going to disable everything on start-up and disable non-window services; observe the machine's performance if its any better then go back enabling each one to delineate any offending application.

Okay we'll try a CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique XP
  • First, restart in Safe Mode (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu).
  • In Safe Mode –
    • Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.
    • See this link for detailed information:http://support.micro....b;EN-US;310353
    • Now restart and test the issue at hand
    • If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.
    • If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.
  • Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.
  • Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi Sal,

OK, Thanks for your advice towards the next step !

I may have spoke a bit too soon, as I just had one of the pages that
I had open fail to close without getting the page freezing up and getting
a warning message saying END Progam... this program is not responding, end now.

I notice this often happens if either I have several pages open, ( usually say 3 to 6)
or if I am watching a video, say youtube or other video on a webpage..

It may also be if I am trying to click on other pages, ie one to another and back etc.

I will try as you say.. BUT this may take some time.... and I may have to do this later
when I had had some sleep zzzz, shortly in next 15 mins or so..

But Maybe we could be getting closer to testing what may or may not work or what is required
to improve performance..

Thanks again for now

cheers

Dowsp

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi Sal,

I have followed the initial instructions for clean boot safemode.

and run msconfig in safemode as you describe.

I am a bit puzzled though !...

Would it make any difference if you also do this in normal mode.

The reason I ask, is when I was in safemode, I did go into system config
and select "services" and I ticked the box " Hide all microsoft services".
BUT when I restarted in normal mode... and looked in system config,
I found that this was Unticked...

So I dont really understand what difference it makes between selecting
this in safemode ... or normal mode.

I can tick that box in either mode..

SO far on restarting however , it seems to be running better.

BUT I suspect its because other programs are not running that may slow it
down...

If I select half the options shown in system config utility
/ the Services option... and test how the computer performs.

this may be tricky, as sometimes my problems occurr sometimes they are not so obvious.

I may get lucky doing 50% at a time and find the half that is causing the problem..and beable to eliminate half each time to I am left with just a few... and then i may be able to find specifically
what the problem is..

There is a LOT of options... so It will take some time..

I will try and complete this over the next 24 hrs..

cheers Dowsp

==============================================

Okay we'll try a CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique XP

First, restart in Safe Mode (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu).

In Safe Mode –

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;310353

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi,

Would it make any difference if you also do this in normal mode.

In some instances, services won't allow to change their status on normal mode but yes you can do it on normal mode. :D

I may get lucky doing 50% at a time and find the half that is causing the problem..and beable to eliminate half each time to I am left with just a few... and then i may be able to find specifically
what the problem is..

There is a LOT of options... so It will take some time..

The way I do it is I would disable everything leaving only my security application (antivirus ). The rest, I leave disabled til required or found that I have any use for them. :D

Advertisements

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi Sal,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
I have been distracted in other endevers ..

With regards to following the msconfig instructions.

When I go into "services" ... I have to check "Hide all Microsoft services"

Do I leave these alone altogether... and JUST concentrate on the remaining
services ? and then just check half of these when testing to see if any of these
effect how the computer runs ?

And when I hide the Microsoft services, Do I need to click on the apply
and / or the OK button... or just tick the Box ONLY ...

THEN IF just ticking that box is OK... when I uncheck the other remaining options..
DO I then also have to tick either half of the remaining options / or one at a time..
and then click the apply button and / or click the OK button.

As I say I am not sure if say after checking out all the other options if later on,
that I have to also deal with the Microsoft Services Options also..and
click the apply and /or OK button for them as well..

I did not attempt to do anything with this as I was not fully clear on what I should
be doing...

Thank you

Dowsp

===================
Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;310353

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts

Do I leave these alone altogether... and JUST concentrate on the remaining
services ? and then just check half of these when testing to see if any of these
effect how the computer runs ?

Yep, do not touch the Microsoft services and concentrate on the remaining visible services.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi Sal,

As I select and click half of the remaining optional boxes.
(after Hiding microsoft services)

Do I have to click the apply button below and then click the OK button..in order to
make the selections take effect, OR does just ticking the boxes activate these
options to allow me to trial and test my computer with just selecting the option for each box ticked... Without having to click the apply and or / OK button below ?

Thank you

Dowsp

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Clicking the apply button and then click the OK button (and will only take effect after restarting the computer) :D

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
OH !

I will have to restart my computer after I have clicked the buttons then
for it to fully take effect !

Good job I asked as I really was not sure ..

I May have to do this at a time when I am not doing other things online.
ie the next day or so...

:D