Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to stop someone easedropping

• Please log in to reply

donitasue

donitasue

• Pip
  • 5 posts
im not sure but i think my neighbor might be picking us up on our phone calls with their police scanner. anything i can do to stop this? hope so.

Edited by donitasue, 17 March 2011 - 09:30 AM.

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Are you talking about Cell phones or just cordless phones? And what type? What frequency does your phone operate at?

donitasue

donitasue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i have a cordless phone, its a 6.0 dect thanks.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
According to Wiki (the infallible source of information :D ) Your phone operates at 1.9GHz.

The only thing I can think of is to report it to the police.

This thread has some interesting info http://answers.yahoo...20093453AAjda6W

donitasue

donitasue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well i hear ya, but i cant prove this. im just thinking this, & im probally right, lol. but thanks anyways.

GSP Computers

GSP Computers

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
You could replace your 1.9GHz cordless phone with a Bluetooth cordless phone. UHF police scanners cannot receive/decipher Bluetooth transmissions.

donitasue

donitasue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
my cordless phone is dect 6.0 im not sure what youre saying, im kinda new to all this.

GSP Computers

GSP Computers

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My apologies, my suggestion is to buy a new cordless phone that uses a Bluetooth wireless connection between the handset and base instead of the standard radio frequencies. I'm pretty sure they are out on the market now, I will try to find one online for you and paste the link to it here.

donitasue

donitasue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
great, thanks.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
If you're looking for a cheap solution I would buy a phone with a cord, and the most simple solution would be to go cellular.

But your neighbor needs to have a real good piece of kit to "crack" the dect 6.0 encryption you currently use in the first place.

EDIT: I searched some more around, and the only DYI way to "crack" the encryption I found, is some shady and customized radio equipment and a Linux computer. Or an advanced but certainly not a standard police-scanner. But the encryption used can't be called "unbreakable" either, not by a long shot.
And make sure the encryption on your phone is actually activated, as this may not be standard for all phones.

So there's no need to really worry unless your neighbor seems a real pro with electronics, and even then there are some reasonably-priced solutions...

Note: In many countries it's illegal to own, use or facilitate "police-scanners", just so you know.

Edited by Amst3rDamag3, 03 August 2011 - 04:42 PM.