Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toughest nut to crack. No scanner can find it.

• Please log in to reply

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Hi fellow geeks and tutors.

A few days ago I noticed I still had a persistent spy-/malware problem.
I'm unsure how to move on next. As buying a new harddisk is apparently the only way.
I changed harddisks four times now and it apparently installed itself as a rootkit on all of my harddisks and USB-sticks.

No scanner can find it, so I'm unsure what to do now.
I infected two other systems with this, which were first offline, but when I put it online, it also showed the same strange logs that my pc produced.
I'm throwing away the usb-stick as a precaution.

I'll include a logfile that I mined with Microsoft Network Monitor.
It also shows some other data, which is or might be privacy sensitive.
I don't censor them, because it might be related.

In the logfile you'll see a bunch of lines with DNS:QueryId = 0x1AF5, QUERY (Standard query)
They all go to websites that keep track of IP's and the visitor's time/amount.
There is no doubt about it, it's malware, written to visit websites to produce fake views.

I already scanned with every software you could image and I am willing to try each new program.
But if nobody can come up with something that fights new-age spy-/malware, then I would need to do buy a new harddisk.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Snaps

Snaps

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
If you feel its malware related then post a thread over in the malware section and see if an expert can fix it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

IO-error

IO-error

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Ah yes, I wasn't paying attention.
I thought I really was in the malware section already. Sorry, won't happen again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and good luck with your issue. :D