Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running processes

• Please log in to reply

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hi!
Would like for someone to comment on this!! I only have 3 start ups in my tray; all are for security. Malwarebytes=Online Armor==Avira. I have changed services as advised by Black Viper, but did not disable, only changed from Auto to Manual. I'm not having any problems. My 7 year old dell is running great. I guess I'm just looking for advice and assurance that I have done things right. I'm 73 years young and try to learn some thing new every day.
Thank you!!
PS Yes I also have a current back up image of my OS on two USB's. I use Macrium Reflect!
[attachment=48711:ScreenShot00001.jpg]

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
garybear
Do not worry about it but you have actually posted the same query TWICE once here and then on the earlier one
http://www.geekstogo...ning-processes/
The only difference being the addition of the screenshot., which could have been added to the other thread.
I have asked for the other one to be closed so that we do not have people answering the same problem on diferent threads.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Other topic deleted so you are free to assist here Macboatmaster :D ;) :D :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Hello.

I am not quite sure what you are asking but

Would like for someone to comment on this!! I only have 3 start ups in my tray; all are for security. Malwarebytes=Online Armor==Avira

If that Malwarebytes is the free edition it doesnot provide real time protection so there is NO NEED to have that running at start-up
If it is the purchased edition with real time protection then you should NOT run it with Avira.
Presuming it is the free edition of Malwarebytes, when you do a scan with MBAM always do just a quick scan, as that covers over 99% of your file system. You only need ever to do a full scan if a quick scan finds anything.

Always disable AVIRA when scanning with Malwarebytes.

I have changed services as advised by Black Viper, but did not disable, only changed from Auto to Manual

It is indeed far better to change to manual rather than disable. However services are best LEFT with just the possible exception of one ot two,as set originally by Windows.
Very often these Tweaks do not work out, as there are many services dependant on other services and services dependant on the one you are altering.
Generally speaking, if you are not using Wireless then that can be disabled - Wireless Zero. Indexing is resource heavy, but there have been reports of some Windows updates failing when indexing was disabled.

In summary the answer is DO NOT TWEAK the services. It is hardly worth it on a system that is running well.
The only real reason to do so is to try and work around a shortage of ram and lack of processor speed on a system, that is not worth updating and even then it is NOT the ideal solution.

It may be a good idea to send me a screenshot of your startup items - all of them of course not just the three enabled.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 March 2011 - 07:08 AM.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

garybear
Do not worry about it but you have actually posted the same query TWICE once here and then on the earlier one
http://www.geekstogo...ning-processes/
The only difference being the addition of the screenshot., which could have been added to the other thread.
I have asked for the other one to be closed so that we do not have people answering the same problem on diferent threads.

Sorry sir!! That's what happens when you get to be my age. Thank you! :D

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hello Macboatmaster.
Wow! Now that's what I was wanting to hear. Great reply sir. I would like to clear some things up.First of all I do have the paid version of Malwarebytes and I run it in real time. I have checked with MBAM and they recommend running it with Avira. I only have the free version of Avira. There are some things you need to put in the exclusions list of both programs. I can post them if you would like. There is no conflicts and they run together with no problems. Your advise is very good. Only one firewall and one AV running or you can really create problems for yourself. Thanks for the tip on MBAM about quick scan. That's good to know.
About tweaking services. Good advise there also. I wouldn't recommend messing with the services unless you have a fairly good knowledge of the computer. I like to try new things. I hope my thread doesn't cause our members any trouble and they follow your advise. I never disable;just change to Manual. I think there are 12 services disabled , but I didn't disable them. I did have to change two services from manual back to automatic because I stopped getting 24 hour restore points. I will post them latter. I will also post screen shots you asked for. I wanted to get this posted because I wanted to thank you for your great reply.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

would like to clear some things up.First of all I do have the paid version of Malwarebytes and I run it in real time. I have checked with MBAM and they recommend running it with Avira

In that case there is nothing more that I can add - follow the advice given to you by MBAM. They will know far better than me and most people on this forum what is necessary for their product to run with Avira.
MBAM is a heuteristic scanner.
They will no doubt have explained this to you.

Here

I did have to change two services from manual back to automatic because I stopped getting 24 hour restore points.

is the evidence of what I said. Tweaking services is not a good idea. In each service you will see the dependencies. If you insist always examine what is the effect of what you are doing

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 March 2011 - 10:42 AM.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hello Macboatmaster!
I'm a big fan of MBAM. I hope you don't think I was saying you don't know any thing. I thought your reply was great and I really appreciated it.Only wanted to explain what MBAM had to say about running it with Avira.
I'm going to post a couple of screen shots, one you asked for and one of services disabled and would appreciate your comments. I use CCleaner to enable and disable start ups. I think there are better programs to do that, but CCleaner does the job for me.The two services that I had to change back to automatic to get 24 hour restore points to work again were=System Restore and Task Scheduler.
Thank you again for your help and your reply's.
[attachment=48722:ScreenShot00003.jpg]
[attachment=48723:ScreenShot00004.jpg]

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I sure hope I haven't offended anyone on this forum. I have only been using a computer for a short time. I really enjoy learning from others and try to learn new things every day. I posted this thread to learn and not to sound like a know it all. I try to keep my PC tuned up and running well. I always appreciate reply's and always learn some thing new from them. I'm old and can be very windy and I can forget things also.
I only have three programs that start up on reboot. I have only 32 processes ruing in Task Manager. I have done some tweaking in Services but I do not recommend that. I like to share my limited knowledge with others and hope I'm not sounding like I know every thing; because I don't.
Thank you! I hope to start more threads. I try to keep all my neighbors and friends PC's running well. I never take any pay, but I get some nice goodies some times, and that's plenty of pay.
Thank you Macboatmaster for your great reply's.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Here's the bottom line and the reason I started this thread. Every program you down load wants to be in the start up menu. Friends have told me they had as many as 20. If you have 20 programs loading every reboot, that just takes longer to start up. It also means they will be running in processes probably. This means they are using valuable resources that can be used some where else.
Just because a program is disabled in start ups doesn't mean that program won't work just as well.It just means it won't have to load on a reboot and probably won't be running in processes until you access and use it. I'm sure all the geeks know this. I posted this for non geeks. I like sharing what I know and what I think I know. I'm always ready for advise and comments. I'm always ready to learn new things!!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The startup items are OK
and to repeat what I said earlier, there is absolutely no need to apologise.
I did not for one moment interpret anything you had said as indicating

hope you don't think I was saying you don't know any thing

what I was saying and perhaps I did not make it clear - Malwarebytes advice as to how you should set their program to run with Avira is the advice from the experts.
I would go so far as to say that it would be foolish for me to make any suggestions on that aspect, you having received the advice from them.

Take care and come back any time you need to.
Regards
Macboatmaster

NB This site no longer recommends the use of the registry cleaning aspect of CCleaner.
We do not recommend ANY program or untility that in any manner has control of the registry.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I do not wish to cause any trouble here on Geeks to GO.
I'm hoping that we can agree to disagree here.
I'm not just bumping this thread up as I think it has been well addressed. I just want to post this link from majorgeeks. I hope it's not against the rules. If it is then please delete the link. I'm not here to argue the pros or cons of registry cleaners . My theory is to always have your OS backed up. If you don't know how to make a back up image of your OS, then at least use ERUNT to back up your registry.If you don't understand what I just typed then by all means stay away from the registry. I trust CCleaner and have done so for years, but it's your choose to make. CCleaner will make a back up of any thing it removes. It's been around for years and carries a 5 star rating on every site.
http://forums.majorg...ad.php?t=158349

NB This site no longer recommends the use of the registry cleaning aspect of CCleaner.
We do not recommend ANY program or untility that in any manner has control of the registry.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
With the greatest of respect we are going round in circles.
If you wish to use CCleaner and you KNOW what you are doing, then it is a great program
If you do NOT know what you are doing and therefore leave the registry aspect checked, then it is like any other registry cleaning, defragmentation of the registry a risky venture.
Here is the quote from this site.

CCleaner is no longer recommended here. If you are going to use it, avoid the Registry cleaner section.
For cleaning out temporary files, a better alternative is ATF Cleaner - simple "no frills" program.

and TFC by Old Timer from GeekstoGo, together with ATF
http://www.geekstogo...er-by-oldtimer/

I am with respect not interested in what any other site says about registry cleaners.
Here is my pre-prepared short article about them.
with a link to the opinion of a professional.

There is generally speaking no such thing as a TRUSTED registry fix.
See this:
http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html
and this

After running 'PC registry Cleaner' on my laptop with Win7professional I now cannot access windows explorer [returns a no association message] and some programs will not install.
And there is the proof in the pudding that Registry Cleaners do more damage than they solve.
OR THIS - on a brand new computer
Registry Errors in brand new PC
Scanning Report

Total scan items: 296239

Total errors found: 132

High risk error count: 12
Count of errors recommended to ignore: 0
5 Add/Remove Programs
0 Browser Helper Objects & Configuration Files
10 Custom Controls
43 Deep Registry Scan
0 Device Drivers
20 File Extensions
0 Help and Resource, & History Lists
6 Invalid ActiveX
42 Invalid Files Path

and here is the reply from a very experienced Geek-with ack to "gerryf"

"You can install a brand new, pure OEM copy of Windows straight from Microsoft and it will likely find 120 "errors"
What I am saying is they are not really errors, they are conditions a programmer has decided are errors"

and I MACBOATMASTER, would add that the errors found by these programs are far too frequently not errors, but the deletion of the registry key by the program, causes REAL errors, insofar as the deleted key corrupts the registry due to the inter-association of multiple keys amongst the hundreds of entries in the registry.

Registry Structure: The Tree, Nodes and Keys
The data is stored in the registry in a tree structure format, for those who have never opened the Registry Editor, you'd find its layout is similar to what you would see when you open your Windows Explorer. Each node within the registry tree contains a key which may have both subkeys and data entries (called values). Depending on the application you run, the application may need only the associated key while others may need the value data set for that specific key. A hive in the registry is a group of keys, subkeys, and values in the registry that has a set of supporting files containing backups of its data. The Windows boot process automatically retrieves data from these supporting files.

AND my attempt to explain it in simple terms - therein lies the problem with the so-called registry cleaner/optimizer programs. the program decides what is not needed and can be deleted. However, frequently the inter-dependance of the various branches of the tree are not recognised by the program AND this is where it goes horribly wrong. - MACBOATMASTER

I also notice on your other thread that you also run RegSeeker
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
from the above I presume.
That was on the thread when you asked about Windows Live One Care Safety Scanner.

Finally whilst I am enjoying the discussion, there are more suitable forums in which to conduct it than this forum which is meant for ADVICE re problems.. For exmaple the Discussion forum in which you are most active.
That said it is your computer and you must of course do as you wish.
Please do not let me CONVINCE you to alter the way you run your computer i ONLY mentioned the issue as I thought you were asking for advice.

Good luck with your computer and your help to others.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 March 2011 - 04:31 PM.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Thank you sir. I'm happy that we can agree to disagree. I have read every thing that is in your reply before, as I'm always curious about these things. Until CCleanner does some thing that causes me problems, I will continue to use their program. I also use Piriform's other programs and recommend them to my friends. I really like the file recovery and the defrag.
Thank you for your reply. I think we had a fair and honest debate and the reader can make up their own mind.

Finally whilst I am enjoying the discussion, there are more suitable forums in which to conduct it than this forum which is meant for ADVICE re problems.. For exmaple the Discussion forum in which you are most active.
That said it is your computer and you must of course do as you wish.
Please do not let me CONVINCE you to alter the way you run your computer i ONLY mentioned the issue as I thought you were asking for advice.

Good luck with your computer and your help to others.

I was asking for advise and I have told you more than once that I appreciated your reply's.
I'm sorry if I have upset you. It was never my intention to do that.
I think it's time to move on and I also wish you good luck and hope we meet again on another thread here on Geeks to Go. We have strayed way off topic and it's time to move on. Thank you again for your advise and your comments. It would be really boring if everyone agreed on every thing. Don't you think??

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I want to make something clear here. First, you don't need to apologize constantly - it's normal for threads to veer off-topic as a discussion evolves. However, it's been said before by me, and now emphasized by Macboatmaster, that we do not advise registry cleaners, and I do wish you would stop bringing it up. What you choose to run is your business, but linking to a thread at another forum about this topic, when we've already provided our official position, is pointless. Rather than beating a dead horse, I'm going to ask you flat out to stop the discussion on this issue. You may agree to disagree, but in this case, that means that you've been told our position on the issue, so there is no point in discussing it further.