Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this any good?

• Please log in to reply

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hello!! Is this app. any good??
http://www.scanwith....wnload/Wipe.htm

Edited by garybear, 28 March 2011 - 08:32 PM.

Advertisements

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
How about this one?? Didn't want to start new topic. This is a excellent program!!

http://www.voidtools.com/download.php
I hope I'm helping. I'm looking for advise. I really like this App.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
If I'm getting out of line, let me know, Ok. I use all these apps.
I want to hear your comments about them. This is the only way I know to post them here on Geeks to Go

http://technet.micro...y/bb897426.aspx

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
A tool written by Mark Russinovich and provided on the Microsoft Technet site is enough recommendation for me, although I haven't used that particular tool. I haven't heard of either of the other ones, so cannot comment on their usefulness. However, I'll stick with TFC or ATF Cleaner if I want to free up disk space, rather than download and run a tool that I have no experience with and have never heard of.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hello sari!
Thanks for your reply. I had TFC installed. Every time I used it;My PC would lose the desktop and hang up or freeze. I would have to do a hard power off and on. Maybe you could help me with it. I haven't heard of anyone else having that problem. I won't try to get you to change to Wipe, but I sure wish you would try the Search EveryThing app. I haven't heard of one person that doesn't just love that program. I'm not sure about the page defrag. I have three defrag App. This one and one to defrag registry; probably a no no and one from piriform for regular defrag. I use to like to try new things, but I'm like you now; I have all the apps. I need. I do have a cluttered desk top;36 short cuts, but I like it that way even though it takes a little longer loading on reboot.
I got windy again, I think it's my age :D

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Read this thread - the user there had an issue with XP hanging every time he ran TFC, and Oldtimer made some suggestions that worked.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Read this thread - the user there had an issue with XP hanging every time he ran TFC, and Oldtimer made some suggestions that worked.

Thanks sari!
I read all the posts in that thread. The OP is still having the same problem that I have. I too have done every thing suggested in that thread. Mine use to work also. I will follow the thread and see what else comes up.I don't like doing those hard power off-on reboots. there not good for your hard drive. I think I'll just use a different cleaner.
Thanks for your help.
PS Some thing on my PC just don't like TFC any more :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried ATF? In some circumstances we have seen where TFC will not work but ATF will.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Also, the OP is not still having the same problem as you. In Post 23, he explains the resolution of his problem, which was Nero 2. If it used to work for you and no longer does, then it's most likely either incomplete updates or a recently installed program. Have you tried using msconfig as recommended?

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Have you tried ATF? In some circumstances we have seen where TFC will not work but ATF will.

No sir I have not tried ATF, but I will give it a try.TFC use to work just fine. Then one day it stopped rebooting. I don't like hard boots, so I stopped using it. It has to be some thing with the program because I can restart my PC normally and do quite often.
Thank you for your reply.

Advertisements

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Also, the OP is not still having the same problem as you. In Post 23, he explains the resolution of his problem, which was Nero 2. If it used to work for you and no longer does, then it's most likely either incomplete updates or a recently installed program. Have you tried using msconfig as recommended?

Hello sari!!
I only have 3 start ups. If one of them is causing the problem, I would suspect MBAM. It makes sense because my security programs are always up dating. I have all windows up dates. I read from a very reliable source; wish I could remember, that msconfig should not be used to disable or enable start ups. The source gave a real good reason, and I will try to find the article.
Thank you!
[attachment=48758:ScreenShot00006.jpg]
PS I will use another program to turn them off one at a time and try to find that article.

Edited by garybear, 29 March 2011 - 03:14 PM.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hello sari!!
Here's the article about msconfig!1

http://www.techrepub...-326313-3250465

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
That article says it should only be used as a short-term debugging tool, and that's all we're advising here. No one said to turn them off permanently using msconfig.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

That article says it should only be used as a short-term debugging tool, and that's all we're advising here. No one said to turn them off permanently using msconfig.

I think it said a little more than that, or that's the way I read it. Again it's a matter of choice. I read an article from Mark Russinovich also, but I couldn't find it however if you Google you can find a free program that Mark wrote for disabling start ups. I use msconfig for trouble shooting but rarely.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Disable all using msconfig. See if TFC completes. If so, replace them one at a time until you identify the offender. If not, plan B.